Thread: Socks with Allen Edmonds Boots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Lightbulb Socks with Allen Edmonds Boots

I just got a pair of (seconds) Higgins Mill boots in Natural. They are by far, the nicest looking and most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn. I'm curious what kind of socks other people have been wearing them with. I've been wearing them with cotton dress socks (I know, I know - wool dress socks would be better), but wondering if anyone else has a suggestion on something specific that might be more comfortable from both a comfort and foot sweat standpoint. I'm guessing something wool, not too thick, not too thin...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Honestly, its a pretty casual boot. I know it still looks nice. I frequently wear mine with plain grey cotton socks. There is zero chance anyone is going to see my socks with these on and even if they happened to do so under some weird condition, its not going to be a situation where it mattered.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    Honestly, its a pretty casual boot. I know it still looks nice. I frequently wear mine with plain grey cotton socks. There is zero chance anyone is going to see my socks with these on and even if they happened to do so under some weird condition, its not going to be a situation where it mattered.
    Agree with the above, I fluctuate between wearing cotton and wool socks with my taller boots (cf. chukkas, where you'll show sock more often), depending on what the weather is, what I'm wearing with it, etc. I often use SmartWool socks with them when it's colder out.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I wear Darn Tough socks, either their Micro Crew Cushion or the boot-height equivalent sock, with my boots (AE Long Branch, RW Iron Rangers, Alden Indy). Their Light Cushion Standard Issue Mid-Calf Sock is a good choice if you're looking for something a bit more subdued in colors and would be closer to your dress socks in weight. I bought both sets of socks from Moosejaw when they were running a 30% off sale.

Regards,
    Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Chup socks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Generally a wool boot sock with my casual boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Yeah, they are not dress boots, you don't need dress socks. I would shy away from straight up athletic socks though, as well as short socks.

A question though, how is the fit of your shoes with dress socks? Are they too loose etc.?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I agree that the look of the sock is proably less important than the feel. Whether cotton or wool, since I'm wearing boots in somewaht cooler weather I opt for socks that are a bit thicker. Having said that, at some point you'll have to take your boots off and you want decent looking socks. I don't wear my dress socks when I'm away from work if the situation is strickly casual. Uniqlo had some great thicker cotton socks earlier in the year that were actually OTC which I bought in black/grey stripe and grey/white stripe. I would just look for colours that coordinate nicely with whatever you wear these boots with. I find dark blue always works.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Depending on how hot/cold it is I either wear my Nordstrom brand wool socks (the ones Joe always talks about) or these Wigwam Hikers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)
    Medium weight boot socks. I really like the ones from REI. Smartwool are good too