Thread: Best cost/value OCBD at ~$50?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

Best cost/value OCBD at ~$50?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an OCBD in the $50 range. What's my best cost for value? I'm willing to wait for sale prices (so e.g. assume that a Charles Tyrwhitt OCBD is ~$30).

Thanks!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    My experience with other brands is limited, but I have been extremely happy with LL Bean's classic oxfords. Wearing one today actually. At $45 full retail, I think the value is really hard to beat.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    I love my S&M OCBDs. I have the brushed version which people mention runs a little hot but they should have a run of the standard version coming out soon. I have 5 of them and prefer the newer versions which do not have a box pleat in the back but rather a plain back. Also with the new neck and sleeve lengths, they should be right for everyone.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I love my S&M OCBDs. I have the brushed version which people mention runs a little hot but they should have a run of the standard version coming out soon. I have 5 of them and prefer the newer versions which do not have a box pleat in the back but rather a plain back. Also with the new neck and sleeve lengths, they should be right for everyone.
    Second this, great collar roll on these although I agree that they run a little warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Repeating what @JBarwick and @Winters said. S&M OCBDs are really great and for the price have one of the best collar rolls I have come around.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I've been pretty happy with the Gap ones, which are often around 30 bucks on sale (or even less). No real frame of reference, because this has kind of become my go to when I need another

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Spier & MacKay are my favorite. I have OCBD's from Luxire, Gap, Charles Tyrwhitt, JcP and S&M.

The S&M are my favorite (beautiful collar roll) followed by Luxire and JcP. I have odd measurements (crazy long arms) so i have a few custom OCBD S&M shirts and really like them. Quality of fabric is stellar

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Spier and Mackay but I agree about not loving the brushed fabric.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    I generally vote for Spier & Mackay, but I didn't buy any of their brushed oxfords since I didn't want the brushed feature. As mentioned above they are coming out with non-brushed versions sometime this year, in which case I'll probably try one.

I do love my mainline BB OCBDs, but those have become expensive. I would suggest trying the BB Red Fleece OCBDs to see if they fit/style works for you. I have 2 and for the price I think they are solid. The collars are probably a bit short for those looking for massive collar roll, but otherwise they are not as skimpy as some might suggest.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Banana Republic OCBD should be obtainable below $50 during sale, especially their 50% off sale that seems to happen for a couple days every other month or so.