Thread: Sturdy, Affordable Dress Shoes for Peace Corps

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

Sturdy, Affordable Dress Shoes for Peace Corps

My fiancée and I will be serving as Peace Corps Volunteers in Ukraine, and I will be serving in a position where I'd be expected to dress business-casual (slacks and a button-up, w/maybe a sports coat).

I'm looking for recommendations on some affordable (<$100), versatile (black or dark brown), and rubber-soled dress shoes that can last me for two years. I would prefer something with closed-lacing since there will be the rare occasion to wear a suit.

I'm also thinking about something w/a lug sole - would definitely be chunkier but might be a good thing in Ukraine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)
    I’d recommend going to look at Clarks. I got some dress shoes from them with rubber soles that I wear when it’s raining or snowing. They’ve helped up very well over the past 4 years with minimal care and are comfortable with enough style to work in an office. There not AE quality or anything but I think we’re 60-70 at the outlet?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Clark's has a lot on sale. I like the one pair I've owned for walking around in. Not a dress shoe.

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/c/sale-m...=%3Arelevance#

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Wait. Are you planning on wearing these every day?

If you are, on a $100 budget, I would suggest scouring Amazon for a good deal on a pair of Cole Haans for $50, buy two pairs, and rotate them daily. You also need shoe trees.

A pair of dress shoes, worn every day, is quite unlikely to look like anything but dogshit by the end of two years. Especially a cheap pair. You'd be far better off being able to rotate, and if you hunt, you absolutely can find a basic cole haan dress shoes for $50/ea. I say cole haan because they seem to not look as cheap as others that you can get for a bargain price.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Wait. Are you planning on wearing these every day?

If you are, on a $100 budget, I would suggest scouring Amazon for a good deal on a pair of Cole Haans for $50, buy two pairs, and rotate them daily. You also need shoe trees.

A pair of dress shoes, worn every day, is quite unlikely to look like anything but dogshit by the end of two years. Especially a cheap pair. You'd be far better off being able to rotate, and if you hunt, you absolutely can find a basic cole haan dress shoes for $50/ea. I say cole haan because they seem to not look as cheap as others that you can get for a bargain price.
    I'm planning on wearing them every day, maybe rotating with some sneakers and boots.

I'm fine with the shoes looking like dogshit by the end of two years - I don't think I'll have space for two pairs or even shoe trees for that matter. It sucks because I have a bunch of AEs, but I'm sure as hell not bringing them to Ukraine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    More than you wanted to spend, but on AE's shoe bank right now are brown Tate wingtips with lug soles for $147. You get a lug sole and they might actually survive the two years. worth an extra $47? For you to decide.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)
    Ukraine?

Good luck, and keep your head on a swivel. That place is *NOT* safe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    I don't have direct experience, but the John W. Nordstrom shoes look like a very good deal. Those wingtip boots in particular. And since it's Nordstroms they ship and return for free so no risk.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/mens-sh...=72&brand=1551

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaitreTea View Post
    I'm planning on wearing them every day, maybe rotating with some sneakers and boots.

I'm fine with the shoes looking like dogshit by the end of two years - I don't think I'll have space for two pairs or even shoe trees for that matter.
    I'd imagine they sell shoes in the Ukraine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    I'd imagine they sell shoes in the Ukraine.
    Great place. From personal experience living in Ukraine, do not purchase shoes there that you want to last, at least not from a rinok or something. You can get things resoled inexpensively, but I don't think this is the best route.

I'd strongly recommend Ecco's for your purposes. If you manage to wear them down and need a resole, the higher-end obuvi tended to have actual branded soles that they could reglue. The soles of my Clark's froze and cracked during winter there, but maybe you'll have better luck.

Unless you're working in an office in Kiev, I wouldn't go with anything leather soled.

Udachi!