Thread: Front Page: J.Crew’s Unstructured Wool / Cotton Ludlow Blazer

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)

Front Page: J.Crew’s Unstructured Wool / Cotton Ludlow Blazer

Do we know if this writer is a threads contributor? The jacket looks a size too small and I was wondering if her kept the sport coat, did he size up. There is a lot of pulling on the back and it looks uncomfortable to wear.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    Was thinking the exact same thing. Size might be right, but ludlow is actually really slim. I'm skinny and it is too slim for me. He may just need a crosby (or different brand). The lack of lining doesn't help.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    262 Post(s)
    Agreed. I didn't think it looked that bad from the front but the shot from the back had a lot of pulling. I'm a slim fella too with 7-8" drop and have found that Ludlow just doesn't work for me.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    Was thinking the exact same thing. Size might be right, but ludlow is actually really slim. I'm skinny and it is too slim for me. He may just need a crosby (or different brand). The lack of lining doesn't help.
    True regarding the lining. I have a Suit Supply sport coat with minimal lining and if I have a bunchy shirt it looks off. This just looks small.

Sort of off topic but what is with all the unstructured jackets? I assume these are just shirt jackets? The materials usually used on sport coats are very fine and will show shirt issues underneath. I think they are more often unflattering than not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I’m so glad I wasn’t the only one thinking this.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Do we know if this writer is a threads contributor? The jacket looks a size too small and I was wondering if her kept the sport coat, did he size up. There is a lot of pulling on the back and it looks uncomfortable to wear.
    It me! Haven't logged in here in a while as I'm more active on Reddit these days.

Absolutely too slim, but it's not that bad in person (I think the posture/pose hurts here). I tried both a 40R and a 41R and neither fit perfectly; the 40R was closest, which is what was used for the review. The 41R was better in the chest and back, but shoulders were too wide and would have needed a lot of tailoring. Not available in a Crosby fit, unfortunately. I ended up returning them - I still prefer my Haymakers/Southwick and Suit Supply jackets.

It's a great jacket *if* the Ludlow cut works for you.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    It me! Haven't logged in here in a while as I'm more active on Reddit these days.

Absolutely too slim, but it's not that bad in person (I think the posture/pose hurts here). I tried both a 40R and a 41R and neither fit perfectly; the 40R was closest, which is what was used for the review. The 41R was better in the chest and back, but shoulders were too wide and would have needed a lot of tailoring. Not available in a Crosby fit, unfortunately. I ended up returning them - I still prefer my Haymakers/Southwick and Suit Supply jackets.

It's a great jacket *if* the Ludlow cut works for you.
    I remember when you posted more! I've wanted to try out Haymakers and your post may have me making a visit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    I remember when you posted more! I've wanted to try out Haymakers and your post may have me making a visit.
    HIGHLY recommend Haymakers if you're still in Nashville, especially right now with a lot of their Fall/Winter stuff on deep clearance. From a customer service stand point, they're top notch. They treat you like friends regardless of how little you spend.

They're in NYC this week for the MRKT dealer's show, but swing by sometime and ask for Sheldon. He'll take care of you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Sort of off topic but what is with all the unstructured jackets?
    Not to further your derailment, but I am curious about this. This year, I have (informally) resolved to pull out sport coats and blazers more often. Partly as a product of evolving job responsibilities, and partly because I like the way they look and screw the haters asking why I'm all "gussied up." In my pursuit of this resolution, I am scouring eBay and sale sites for unstructured options. First, because they are more casual; I feel less like I'm playing dress-up, they seem less likely to elicit comments from colleagues about my dress, and they play nicer with casual chinos or jeans. Second, I run hot, and in order to be comfortable in a fully lined/structured jacket, the room would need to be decidedly below regular room temperature.

*But* there is something I'm wondering. This unconstructed thing seems to be trendy--they are getting more prevalent as far as I can tell. There are clearly other aspects of tailored menswear that follow trends and are decidedly cyclical: lapel width, number of buttons, fullness of cut, etc. Does this fall in that category? Will unlined sport coats be hopelessly dated in 10 years?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
    Does this fall in that category? Will unlined sport coats be hopelessly dated in 10 years?
    I don't think so, at least not in the next 10 years. Neapolitan tailoring, with it's softer construction, has been around for decades. For the past five years or so, unstructured jackets have been very popular for those seeking a more natural, relaxed look. The current swing in menswear is headed towards wider, looser fits all-around (the '70s are coming back) so I think you'll be fine for quite a while.

I think there's room in everyone's closet for both structured business suits and softer business casual options.