Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me, please--No More Shoes This Year--None. Zero. Except These AEs on Sale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Thank you. I appreciate any thoughts that are going to help me tame this problem. Because I am up early this morning and first thing--I'm looking at shoes again. Merlot McAllisters are on sale at AE! I already have oxblood McNeils. Why do I need the McAllisters? Well, one's a derby and one's an oxford. I'm driving myself nuts.

Need vs. want problematic for me. When I was a kid, we went through some pretty lean times and because of that, I define "need" pretty narrowly. What do I "need" for shoes? Two dress pairs for work, because I am required to wear suits almost every day (I'm a lawyer). I can use these dress shoes for most social occasions, as well. One pair of casual shoes to wear with my jeans. A pair of running shoes for exercising and walking. Snow boots for when I go to the snow once a year or so. Sandals for the beach/pool. And maybe a pair of patent leather for the once or twice a year I go to a formal event. Maybe a casual, non-athletic very comfortable walking shoe.

Therefore, strict "needs" are covered. More than covered. Covered three times over.

I'm going to need to go back to therapy, I'm afraid.
    I know I'm no help, but GET THE MERLOT McAllasters! They wear easy with grey trousers and nearly anything else that goes with brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Another reason not to buy more shoes is if you like a mirror polish on your shoes.

That’s the amount of time I’d like to spend on all of my dress shoes / boots in terms of the amount of polish, but I don’t have the time to do this for everything. It ends up being a quick condition / 1 layer of polish, which is fine to give the shoes a bit of a soft shine, but if you want a mirror polish on all of your shoes it can become quite a time sink.
    I am a shoe shine Nazi. I secretly believe that everyone I work with who doesn't have shiny shoes should be disbarred and fired.

But I have a buffer now and it takes 1/3 a time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I am a shoe shine Nazi. I secretly believe that everyone I work with who doesn't have shiny shoes should be disbarred and fired.

But I have a buffer now and it takes 1/3 a time.

This would literally be 98% of the criminal trial bar in my neck of the woods. Sigh.

Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1682 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post
    This would literally be 98% of the criminal trial bar in my neck of the woods. Sigh.
    I'd be ok if members of the local bar would just wear normal-looking leather dress shoes to court, let alone shine them. Not the brown nubuck orthopedic sneaker or the square-toe special....

I love my coworkers in the PD office but I really want to burn a pair of tan Timberland-style boots one of my coworkers sometimes wears to court.

I have to walk the same unplowed, unshoveled path of icy death from our office to the courthouse and back and I get along just fine with regular (rubber soled) shoes....
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'd be ok if members of the local bar would just wear normal-looking leather dress shoes to court, let alone shine them. Not the brown nubuck orthopedic sneaker or the square-toe special....

I love my coworkers in the PD office but I really want to burn a pair of tan Timberland-style boots one of my coworkers sometimes wears to court.

I have to walk the same unplowed, unshoveled path of icy death from our office to the courthouse and back and I get along just fine with regular (rubber soled) shoes....
    https://www.amazon.com/totes-Waterpr.../dp/B002NWZLSY

Honestly, I'd probably pay 3x that amount for what these save in polishing and resoling.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

If I lived in the Yukon, I might overlook this. But I'm in Los Angeles.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    A good way to resist it is to not look.

Not just buying, but no looking. Period.
    No physical window shopping, no online window shopping, don't bother opening promotional emails. You might even wanna unsubscribe from promotional emails.

It might be super hard at first, but gets easier the longer you resist it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Oh boy--I didn't keep my resolve. I needed a pair of dress boots for a costume event we went to last weekend, so I pulled the trigger on some dress boots. But they were cheap. Only $59.95. And none of my other shoes worked.

But that's it. No more until 2019. Probably.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    From what you posted you still a normal person not a shoe snobb(in 3 years I purchased 40+ pairs). If you like them buy them but note there's a risk to have a shoe addiction. I Loved the feeling trying new shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have/had the same addiction with sneakers. The rush of hunting and finally purchasing a new pair is intoxicating. As I've gotten older I've started to sell some of my sneaker collection and slowly transitioned to more dress/casual shoes. Be smart, know your triggers, even get someone to hold you accountable if need be.