Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Praise for the Patagonia Sweater Jacket

  1. #21
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    387 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    They do cost a bit more than other technical gear brands but they are usually the innovator - they do it first and everyone else copies them more often than the other way around. You can support that innovation or draft in the tailwinds for a cheaper price.
    *looks in wallet* I guess it is the tailwinds for me. Even if I could afford it, I doubt I would buy it, and I don't find your argument that there is some advantage to always buying from the innovator. If everyone did that, it would create monopolies. A lack of brand loyalty is actually what spurs innovation.

  2. #22
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    The real reason to buy Patagonia is probably not that they are the innovator (though they often are), but that they are actually committed to sustainability. They’ve lead the way there, abandoning traditionally-grown cotton, incorporating recycled plastics in their fleece, using recycled cashmere, donating 10% of their profits to “green” causes, running a top notch repair program, tracking their down supply in depth to ensure humane bird treatment, etc. I think these are good reasons to support them. But they are certainly expensive and I don’t fault people for looking for a more affordable option. I don’t always buy Patagonia, either.

  3. #23
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    *looks in wallet* I guess it is the tailwinds for me. Even if I could afford it, I doubt I would buy it, and I don't find your argument that there is some advantage to always buying from the innovator. If everyone did that, it would create monopolies. A lack of brand loyalty is actually what spurs innovation.
    I don't always buy from them - sometimes I ride the tailwinds too. I have the North Face version of the better sweater, for example, and have never owned a Patagonia fleece. You think Patagonia prices are outrageous though, check out what Canada Goose charges for a down parka. Also what dpark said - they are as committed as just about any other company to ethical and sustainable production practices.

  4. #24
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I stopped in to Patagonia today to see if they would buy back my old sweater jacket for their used program. There were some tiny holes in the bottom of the jacket, wear from me leaving it cinched in the same position for years so they wouldn’t buy it back so they took it for recycling. Now I’m wishing I kept it to give to a homeless program.

    Their store in Soho is near a Canada Goose store (talk about expensive coats). People were protesting outside Canada Goose for their irresponsible use of fur and down.

    I did feel a little bit better knowing that Patagonia uses traceable responsible sourced down. Their new Soho store is cool - it was my first time in.

    I was bummed I didn’t get anything back for my old jacket though. I was going to use the credit toward buying something fun for my son.

  5. #25
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    986
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    I really like the descriptions of some of Patagonia's products like the recycled wool / recycled polyester jackets. The only bit I don't like is the $400–$500.

  6. #26
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,095
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    387 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    I don't always buy from them - sometimes I ride the tailwinds too. I have the North Face version of the better sweater, for example, and have never owned a Patagonia fleece. You think Patagonia prices are outrageous though, check out what Canada Goose charges for a down parka. Also what dpark said - they are as committed as just about any other company to ethical and sustainable production practices.
    Northface is also pretty expensive, especially for fleece, because it is all the same.

    Buying a brand because they are ethical, is a good reason, as opposed to most of the other reasons given.

    I usually try to buy to maximize my budget. I also have no problem with real fur and protesters of every type tend to annoy me, so I would like to return the favor. However, it just isn't in my budget.

  7. #27
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    Northface is also pretty expensive, especially for fleece, because it is all the same.

    Buying a brand because they are ethical, is a good reason, as opposed to most of the other reasons given.

    I usually try to buy to maximize my budget. I also have no problem with real fur and protesters of every type tend to annoy me, so I would like to return the favor. However, it just isn't in my budget.
    No, North Face isn't cheap either. None of those brands really are. I got my better sweater knockoff on a spring sale though so it was pretty affordable. As for Patagonia, I've only paid full price for two of the three Patagonia items I've owned in my lifetime (not counting their capilene underwear). One (my nano puff) I purchased with an REI gift card, one was their waterproof breathable torrent rain shell which is not outrageously priced compared to similar garments. The third is a lighter weight mid layer that was probably a little too much but I was on the verge of going SUPing and was inexperienced and needed something that would stay somewhat warm when wet but not too warm because it was early fall and not that cold. It seemed like the best option I could find on short notice. My down parka is just a Lands End that I got on post-Christmas sale for $140. On a budget, I'd start with them for down outer wear as you can get really good deals when there's a sale - mine is a half decade old but the nice thing about down parkas is they don't change all that much so it doesn't look dated. It might last me for another half decade or more as it is not showing wear or shedding feathers.
    Last edited by mark4; January 27th, 2018 at 09:02 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •