Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Something "Old Fashioned"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    304 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    I still read paper books too...and am even known to watch live network TV rather than TiVoed or streamed content. I also still use taxi cabs if there's one handy. It's amazing how many people are staring at their phone trying to get a lift from Uber/Lyft here in DC while vacant cabs are cruising by and they could just stick their hand out to get a ride instantly.
    Because the quality of transport from an Uber has always been higher in my experience than any cab. The drivers are validated, I know what I am paying to get to an agreed upon location, I can rate the driver, and no tip.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    If you weren't aware, the autos are much faster than the manuals these days. The auto in mine is brilliant. It shifts so fast at full throttle, there is no delay between shifts, no pause in the application of power to the ground. You hear a pop and the tach drops, but it kept pulling the entire time. Shifts are done in 250ms in sport mode.
    Even though that is true, those of us who prefer manuals know that it isn't the point. I just prefer to shift with a clutch pedal. There's no better feeling than to rev-match perfectly during downshifts that brings a smile to my face. Yes, I know autos do that now too but again, it isn't the point.

However, having said that, I've been in an auto Outback for a few years now due to wife. So I'm just about ready to hop back into something with a stick - preferably one with a cable throttle, which means it'd have to be at least early 2000's.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagePree View Post
    However, having said that, I've been in an auto Outback for a few years now due to wife. So I'm just about ready to hop back into something with a stick - preferably one with a cable throttle, which means it'd have to be at least early 2000's.
    I just dropped a new engine into my bugeye WRX. I’ve never had more fun with a car.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I just dropped a new engine into my bugeye WRX. I’ve never had more fun with a car.
    Gah.. I'm jealous. I sold my bugeye wagon for the Outback. I miss that car but having it as my only car wasn't fun, I gotta admit. Best to be a project on the side or a 2nd or 3rd car.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagePree View Post
    Gah.. I'm jealous. I sold my bugeye wagon for the Outback. I miss that car but having it as my only car wasn't fun, I gotta admit. Best to be a project on the side or a 2nd or 3rd car.
    Fingers crossed I got all the kinks worked out, because I’m using it as a daily driver—the power train has under 5,000 miles on it, and when you get the clutch and turbo working together right, it’s a blast.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Fingers crossed I got all the kinks worked out, because I’m using it as a daily driver—the power train has under 5,000 miles on it, and when you get the clutch and turbo working together right, it’s a blast.
    You'll be fine. Mine was just beat up when I got it so there were many chassis and suspension issues. Figured that it may have been doing a lot of off-roading since I found a ton of mud inside the fender, hence the suspension issues. Otherwise, the engine was good for stage2 and strong as hell. Fun it was while it lasted, even made a trip to Maine and back.

Good luck with yours. Personally, I may pick up a hawkeye wagon in the near future with a EJ257.

Can't believe we're talking about Subaru's in dappered. haha
    But I guess that is old school since I despise some of the new car technologies that have come out in recent years. Sure, they may make the car safer but yet, requires less driver attention. Why not just take the damn bus.... /oldmantalk

Well, I also proofread and correct spelling/grammar on all my texts and WhatsApp messages. It also annoys me that others do not.