Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something "Old Fashioned"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Something "Old Fashioned"

What is something that you do or use that could be considered old fashioned?

To start things off: I always carry/use a handkerchief. Hardly seems old fashioned to me and is very practical. But my friend's are still surprised when I pull one out.

Although it is cost effective compared to Kleenex, that is only part of the reason I like them. If I have any stubble I find that small pieces of the Kleenex will get caught in it. Maybe that's just me though.

Side note: Nothing drives me crazier than having to listen to someone with the sniffles all day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    351 Post(s)
    Carrying a pocket knife. I don’t do it everyday bc at some government buildings it can be a no no and mine holds special emotional value to me that I cannot lose.

Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1766 Post(s)
    Always wearing a watch. (Pretty common ‘round these parts but seemingly becoming increasingly rare/old-fashioned in the “real world.”)

Said watch is usually (though not always) mechanical.

Always carrying a pen (usually multiple pens) and small notebook.

Said pen(s) is a fountain pen. (Just yesterday a co-worker saw me writing with my TWSBI fountain pen and began to wax nostalgic about learning to write in cursive with one years and years ago.)

Writing hand-written letters and thank you notes on decent stationery.

Always removing my hat and sunglasses indoors.

When I’m clean-shaven, I use shaving soap and a boar brush. (After various attempts, however, I've given up on DE razors and straight razors because 2-blade cartridge style razors have just always worked better for me.)
    Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Carrying a pocket knife. I don’t do it everyday bc at some government buildings it can be a no no and mine holds special emotional value to me that I cannot lose.
    I too carry a pocket knife. While my collection has no emotional value, they sure are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Always wearing a watch. (Pretty common ‘round these parts but seemingly becoming increasingly rare/old-fashioned in the “real world.”)

Always carrying a pen (usually multiple pens) and small notebook.

Always removing my hat and sunglasses indoors.

When I’m clean-shaven, I use shaving soap and a boar brush. (After various attempts, however, I've given up on DE razors and straight razors because 2-blade cartridge style razors have just always worked better for me.)
    The watch is a good one; I always wear one. More than once the wife's family has noticed my watches and mentioned it is uncommon to see them nowadays. I prefer very simple watches.

Always have a pen with me. Always a sharpie pen and typically the retractable ones.

I'm not great about removing the hat but always the sunglasses. There is a guy in my gym that started wearing sunglasses when he lifts. Spook.

Love shaving soap & badger brushes. Been using them since I was 18 (along with DE razors).

Thanks for all the good info!

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1067 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I've been debating about carrying a knife. I even started a thread on here wondering how many people carried one on a daily basis. I still haven't followed through with it yet though because I'm not sure if I'll like the extra bulk in my pocket. Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I've been debating about carrying a knife. I even started a thread on here wondering how many people carried one on a daily basis. I still haven't followed through with it yet though because I'm not sure if I'll like the extra bulk in my pocket. Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.
    https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-...d+wesson+knife

This is the knife I carry most often. Quite small and light. Very sharp. Serves everyday purposes. I got it a little cheaper at a Bass Pro Shop.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    351 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haschoov View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-...d+wesson+knife

This is the knife I carry most often. Quite small and light. Very sharp. Serves everyday purposes. I got it a little cheaper at a Bass Pro Shop.
    I have the original version of this knife in my nightstand. Had it for almost 20 years. Great knife.

My pocket knife I have now my friend got me in Switzerland as a thank you for letting him use my backpack as he treked around Europe. It’s engraved with my name so holds a lot of value to me.

It doesn’t get used as much out and about but as an Eagle Scout I got used to always having a pocket knife.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    Turning off my phone at any "social event".
    Using an iPod.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I have the Opinel knife that Bespoke Post offered a few months back. It's floated between my pocket, junk drawer and glove box. I love the look and feel of it but working in a school probably means i shouldn't be packing.

I have the fountain pen from Bespoke Post as well. It's small and writes beautifully for an entry level fountain pen.

Second the watch. I took mental stock of my coworkers and it's exceedingly rare outside of PE for any man to wear a watch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    I wear a watch, though my watches are on the cheap end of the spectrum and are quartz.

I carry a pocket knife with me everywhere (Spyderco Tenacious, for those curious) along with an assortment of other "EDC" items.

I own a number of fountain pens and write with them exclusively. About the only time I use a ballpoint is for signing receipts, as FP ink tends not to dry nicely on the plasticy thermal paper that is used for most receipts nowadays.

I also own several fedoras and wear them in public on occasion... by no small measure the most socially derisive of my "old fashioned" muses.

I shave with a badger brush and 1960s safety razor.
    Last edited by Mr. Charles; January 17th, 2018 at 12:47 PM.