Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Stylish" looks or clothes that you hate

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)

"Stylish" looks or clothes that you hate

I'm talking about those looks or clothes that are generally considered stylish (in the more classic/dappered sense than trendy), which I know is subjective hence the quotes.

For me it's mankles, overly tapered pants, and for the more trendy items, skinny jeans and joggers. I just hate the silhouette that these looks create, making the legs appear dainty and weak even for muscled guys. The exception for me are athletes or grapplers who wear compression pants while practicing or working out, as it looks fine in that context.

Another item, which I don't hate, but which I find a bit overrated, is the sport coat. It's the default recommendation to appear stylish and most menswear blogs would have you wear them everywhere ( ok, not literally, but you get my point), but not everyone can pull them off in the real world without looking stuffy or nerdy or weird. I used to be one of maybe 2 or 3 guys in our office who wore sport coats (I wore mine daily, the others wore theirs occasionally) but when the dress code relaxed to allow t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers I switched to bomber jackets and knits.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Buttoned top button without a tie. My blood pressure rises slightly whenever those stupid Verizon commercials with Thomas Middleditch come on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Buttoned top button without a tie. My blood pressure rises slightly whenever those stupid Verizon commercials with Thomas Middleditch come on.
    Agrre but is that stylish? I mean that is Monk style.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    I'm talking about those looks or clothes that are generally considered stylish (in the more classic/dappered sense than trendy), which I know is subjective hence the quotes.

For me it's mankles, overly tapered pants, and for the more trendy items, skinny jeans and joggers.
    So....are you looking for examples of classic style, or trendy? First sentence says classic rather than trendy, but your example is more of a trendy thing (overly tappered trousers are not necessarily a classic look). Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    So....are you looking for examples of classic style, or trendy? First sentence says classic rather than trendy, but your example is more of a trendy thing (overly tappered trousers are not necessarily a classic look). Thanks.
    To be more accurate, I guess I meant classic and/or current trends with classic/traditional/heritage pieces. Basically just leave out streetwear and obvious fads like long line tees or drop crotch pants.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    joggers.
    that

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Buttoned top button without a tie.
    whenever see i see this one i think people are cosplaying some kind of Los Angeles gangster.

the other two are people who are dressed up in some overly stylized "authentic" ways that are obviously not authentic, the hipster brooklyn lumberjacks,

and the modern hipster dandies from brooklyn.

Last edited by evanparker; January 16th, 2018 at 09:23 AM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    I hate the short tapered pants look where you can see the ankles. I also hate the sock-less look with dress shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I hate the short tapered pants look where you can see the ankles. I also hate the sock-less look with dress shoes.
    I occasionally wear loafers with no socks with business casual in the summer. My business is super casual, so I feel it is not out of place and it gives me slight respite from the unbearable Houston heat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Unsure if this fits in but the cuffed look on chinos or jeans. It strikes back to my uniforms from school with cuffs (and pleats) and is a look I just don’t like. There is no functionality reason I don’t like it. I find too many people try it and it just looks overdone.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I think we all hate joggers. I also don't dig cuffed jeans, or skinny jeans.

Jeans and a sportcoat - more "not my thing" than "hate."

Same goes for sneakers and most "street wear."

Over-wrought hair and/or facial hair, again, more not my thing.

Loud pocket squares, tie bars.

Anything that looks affected and out of place (cue the pics above from @evanparker). If you look like you're playing dress-up, then I have a cattle-prod with your name on it.