Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Stylish" looks or clothes that you hate

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I've tried that. As a watch guy, that doesn't work for me. IMO a Sub looks better with a suit than a Timex Marlin, etc.
    Truth. I occasionally wear my Speedy on black gator as a stand-in for a dress watch, but still searching for the right dress watch. It might make me a brand/quality whore, but I got rid of most of my cheaper watches (including the closest I had to a dress watch, an Orient Bambino) as I found I just wouldn't gravitate toward them at all after getting some nicer pieces. YMMV and more power to you if you can do it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    This is a funny conversation.

For me, it mostly comes down to things that don't work on me, rather than things I hate. Shawl collared sweaters? Love the look...not on me. They age me 20 years, and I'm 47 now, so not good. Doesn't matter how many muscles I have if I'm instantly that much older.

Someone mentioned tieless in suits earlier as a dislike...I was very reluctant to try that look, as I'd always gone with a tie, and there's something unfinished about the look to me. But what do you know, it looks amazing on me, and I don't make many things look that way. It works with my number of years, I guess.

One I love, looks terrible. The other I don't, looks great. Point being that differences are sometimes okay, even amongst our crowd of try hards.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)
    Hats.

Top hats, fedoras, panama hats, homburgs, bowlers, triblys, flat caps. It's a clear sign of someone trying to hard and most of the time look costume-y. No amount of hashtag-menswear resurgence will bring these hats back. Just stop.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Wearing multiple bold patterns. Over-accessoring with menswear-y novelties (lapel flowers, goofy socks, colored shoelaces, shoes in nonstandard colors, waistcoats, etc) without having first mastered the basics of fit and outfit cohesion.
    I see a lot of this on football broadcasts the last few years. They fall into about three camps:

1. The obligatory CBS navy blazer (aka, I'm just wearing this so I don't get fired), and sneakers off camera.

2. The well put together. Sometimes there's some ex-nfl types that make huge canvases for patterns that may work on them but not on a normal human if the cut of the suit is right. They frequently wear some pretty amazing stuff. Trouble is that it can intersect with #3.

3. Tries too hard. Often Kirk Herbstreit falls into this category. Too many pastels, patterns, and accessories. Big, muscular dude wearing all that? No. Just put on a nice fitting suit, keep the pattern to the shirt only, and everybody will still notice how pretty you are while being able to take you seriously.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    264 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I've tried that. As a watch guy, that doesn't work for me. IMO a Sub looks better with a suit than a Timex Marlin, etc.
    I am a watch guy too, but I would be perfectly happy with a seiko Cocktail Time if I didn’t already have a Nomos Orion. It’s not cheap, not expensive (if you can afford a Sub) and still worthy of watch guy praise IMHO. I might pick one up after the “year of no spending”.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Truth. I occasionally wear my Speedy on black gator as a stand-in for a dress watch, but still searching for the right dress watch. It might make me a brand/quality whore, but I got rid of most of my cheaper watches (including the closest I had to a dress watch, an Orient Bambino) as I found I just wouldn't gravitate toward them at all after getting some nicer pieces. YMMV and more power to you if you can do it.
    Same. I recently ordered a Timex Todd Snyder military watch for under $100 as a beater but otherwise got rid of all my cheaper watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I am a watch guy too, but I would be perfectly happy with a seiko Cocktail Time if I didn’t already have a Nomos Orion. It’s not cheap, not expensive (if you can afford a Sub) and still worthy of watch guy praise IMHO. I might pick one up after the “year of no spending”.
    I've owned a Cocktail time before. The dimensions on the case are too big and it's a bit flashy IMO to be a true dress watch. At this point I'm holding off until I can afford a JLC Reverso in a few years.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Point being that differences are sometimes okay, even amongst our crowd of try hards.
    I admittedly comb these types of messages looking for ideas out of what people differ in opinion on. The tieless suit look, for example. Wearing a tie loose or otherwise "incorrectly" is another. The contrast of a poplin dress shirt with a rough-weave sports jacket is another one I tried once I saw some people really didn't like it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Buttoned top button without a tie. My blood pressure rises slightly whenever those stupid Verizon commercials with Thomas Middleditch come on.
    Co-signed.

Also, I don’t mind the suit/blazer with no tie look, but if you’re going to do it, I better not see your undershirt.
    Last edited by MIS997; January 16th, 2018 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I suppose some looks depend on age. I'm at the point where the only time I wear shorts is for running, working out, or swimming. Long cargo shorts are just bad on everyone, but they seem to be dying a slow death. And 5" inseam shorts are fine if you're not that tall (especially for running).

Other looks I just can't countenance:
    -suit/sport jacket with a t-shirt. Come on, that's just lazy. How hard is it to find a collared shirt.
    -nautical style clothing if you're not near the coast (I live in Colorado and see this a lot)
    -which leads me to boat shoes w/o socks (or just in general) -- if you're not on the dock or on deck wtf?
    -a suit w/o socks. No one wants to see your hairy ankles. I don't care how hot it is -- get some socks, man.
    -if you tailor your sweatpants . . . I can't even finish that statement
    -haven't we been over long beards for quite some time?

I know i'm going to get a lot of shit for this last one, but I just don't get white leather sneakers. That just screams 80-year old beachcomber. Jack Purcells, etc. What is that all about? Not athletic, no style, and generally look like orthopedic shoes. But as I said, perhaps that's best for the over 60 crowd?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    Hats.
    I have a flat cap made of waxed cotton that I only wear when it's precipitating. None of my coats have a hood, and I don't really like carrying an umbrella around, so I find it pretty useful. It always comes off inside, and I don't generally wear it in fair weather.

That said, my girlfriend would probably agree with you - she says it makes me look like an old man. It's not bad enough that she won't be seen with me, but she doesn't like it.

As for me, I really don't like slip on shoes. I especially think boat shoes and bit loafers look atrocious, and I don't understand why people wear them.
    Last edited by christophe; January 17th, 2018 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Forgot quote