Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much would you pay for Dappered?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochrisgo View Post
    Hey, thanks for promoting this to it's own thread. As a lover of the web and all the great niche content on it, I am worried about the sustainability of some of them. OF course I know nothing about the workings of this site. I know they are smart about their affiliate play.
    I think Joe is doing just fine with commissions, advertising revenue and clicks as is. No need for him to charge a fee and drive his audience away. When I first saw the thread I thought how much would Joe be able to sell the website for. I think it would be millions of dollars as is - but probably not dozens of millions would be my guess. Anyway, not my problem.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    You might not pay for access, but do Joe a solid and white list the site if you use an ad blocker.
    ^This. I use adblockers. They make the Internet a vastly more enjoyable (and safer) place. However, there are a few sites that I enjoy and want to support. For those sites, I whitelist them. This is one such site.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    385 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochrisgo View Post
    I think complaining about the amount/quality of content on a small site suggests that people don't understand the economics of online content production.

I would pay ~$5 a month, especially if there was early access to sales, maybe the ability to comment on posts, or go to store events if they were in NYC where I am?
    I don't think it is a lack of understanding of the economics that is the case, it is the value of the product. Financially speaking, the best value from dappered is the sales alerts, which are available elsewhere.

The style advice is often available elsewhere too. How many websites tell you the difference between an oxford and a bluecher? And that is only something you need once. After about a year or less, you have probably learned everything that Joe has to teach you.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I wouldn’t pay and finally stop spending so much :-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aręte View Post
    I wouldn’t pay and finally stop spending so much :-)

Touché . I second these sentiments.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewCPA View Post
    GoChrisgo commented as part of another thread regarding recent Dappered main site content:

“This is also a site I'd be willing to pay for to read.”

How about others? Would you pay to read the site? Would you pay for it as is or would you require additional inducements (ex. Premium content) to do so? If so, what would you require?

I’m a daily reader, however, I think I would move on if prompted to pay or I would only access the free content. That said, at $50 per year or less, I might bite.

Thoughts?
    I think couple years back, this was popular and I was a paid member, now I'm out of those web sites, don't paid for forums any more. They get there money elsewhere now.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Zero. Most posts here are simply listings of sales at about a dozen retailers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Just as another point...if people had to pay to access the forum (for example) imagine how useless the forum would be. Since many of the current users would not pay, there would be very little advice given out .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I would pay up to zero. Come on, its our own opinion about clothing. Let's not pretend we are something we are not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this thread, but some niche pubs are hurting: food magazine Saveur went from 6 issues to 4 this week and The Awl and The Hairpin are closing down.

I keep clicking and buying through those affiliate links, doing my part for this site. I don't use an ad blocker.