Thread: 7S26 movement seconds hand stops?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

7S26 movement seconds hand stops?

I purchased a Seiko SNK803 this past August. This was my first automatic. I love the watch and have worn it most days since then. I have measured its accuracy several times with the Toolwatch app, and it has consistently run +6 seconds/day or better. Everything I have read about the 7S26 movement declares it to be a reliable, robust movement that can go for over a decade without a service.

Late last week I glanced down at my wrist and noticed that the seconds hand had stopped moving. I lightly tapped the face of my watch with my fingertip and the seconds hand picked back up with its typical sweep.

I noticed the seconds hand stopped a couple more times as the day went on, each time it would begin to sweep again with a light tap on the watch head. Do you guys have any idea what is going on here?

I let the watch sit for the weekend, put it on this morning, and reset the time after about an hour of winding on the wrist. Now its running over 15 MINUTES fast after about 3 hours.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quoted
    866 Post(s)
    That's odd. You can try demagnatizing it. A watchmaker will do it or you can order one online.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    I recently bought an old SKX from the Phillippines via eBay and I'm having the same issue. Seconds hand randomly stops and movement starts running fast if I give the watch a vigorous shake. Probably needs a service...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    It ran about 50 minutes fast yesterday over a 12 hour period. Most or all of that time was gained in the first 4-5 hours, then it seemed to settle down.

I reset the time last night, and it seems to be running < +/-1min since then. I will probably pick up a demagnetizer. Looks like they are under $15 on Amazon. Anybody have good results using one of these?

I would be pretty frustrated if this already needs a service, since it was brand new last August. But it makes sense that your used SKX @ajs116 could use a service depending on its age.