Thread: Need Dumbbell Workout

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Need Dumbbell Workout

I saw the lifting thread on the forum, but it's more oriented to barbell lifting in a fully equipped gym.

I need a dumbbell lifting program (at least to get me started). With my job, I have time for 35-45 minute workouts 3-4 times a week, at least for now. I know that if I have serious lifting goals, then going to a full gym with barbells is better, but I want to start with working out at my apartment gym and just getting into better shape. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I understand your desire to get strong, but perhaps you should try to carve out some time for barbells. It's going to be tough to get big and strong with Dumbbells (no squats or deadlifts, for instance). Even if you don't have serious goals, going with Dumbbells just doesn't seem that useful.

Since you are in Atlanta, maybe you should go check out Atlanta Barbell, a starting strength gym (https://startingstrength.com/coaching/atlanta-barbell)

The starting strength program only takes 3x a week, maybe like an hour per work out. You could do tues, Thur, and Saturday and you'd be done, for only like 2 hours out of your work week.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    139 Post(s)
    How about a membership to Beach Body? My dad was in a similar situation and he had pretty good results with P90X. All you need is a set of dumbbells and a pull up bar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    How about a membership to Beach Body? My dad was in a similar situation and he had pretty good results with P90X. All you need is a set of dumbbells and a pull up bar.
    I echo this. Beachbody OnDemand is great. P90X, Body Beast, area all DB and pull up bar based. They will get you in shape and build muscle. Been doing a rotation of various BB workouts for years. Best shape of my life at 43. I have barbells that I'll intermix in, but by and large it is DB based.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasma View Post
    I saw the lifting thread on the forum, but it's more oriented to barbell lifting in a fully equipped gym.

I need a dumbbell lifting program (at least to get me started). With my job, I have time for 35-45 minute workouts 3-4 times a week, at least for now. I know that if I have serious lifting goals, then going to a full gym with barbells is better, but I want to start with working out at my apartment gym and just getting into better shape. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Others opinions of a barbell routine are correct, but with your time limitations, there's nothing wrong with a dumbbell routine in the meantime. Better to have a plan you can stick too 100% of the time at your apartment than a gym membership you only use 50% of the time. The key to your workout plan is the dumbbells you have: how much weight/plates can you add to them, or what increment dumbbell do you have? If you only have a pair of 35s and 80s, then you're limited. If you have some good dumbbells, a TRX strap, and a weighted vest, you can crush it at home. NY Barbell sells threaded barbells that can hold up to 200lbs per handle; great to have if you need to add some big weight. Optional would be an adjustable bench, but your space may also be limited

As for the workouts, you can do all sorts on movements, esp unilateral. These are great for muscle imbalances and core strength.
    Push ups, floor presses, shoulder press, lat raises, rows, shrugs, DB swings, thrusters, handstand push ups, RDLs, single leg RDLs, goblet squats, split squats, speed skaters squats, turkish getups, pistol squats, chin/pull ups, burpees, DB snatches, step ups, weighted apartment stair climbs, hip thrusts, planks, crunches.

Sorry for the exhaustive list, but you can easily get strong as hell in the interim until a gym becomes an option. Just go for it: eat, lift, sleep, progress. Good luck!
    Last edited by APinNC; January 23rd, 2018 at 08:23 AM.
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    136 Post(s)
    Add to the list weighted pull ups, cross your ankles to hold a dumb bell

Also, http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html