Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing Sticks

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Writing Sticks

I thought it might be fun (and useful) to have a topic dedicated to the various writing sticks that we own, use, and carry. I think I have the same appreciation for fountain pens that others have for fine watches, though my collection is limited to the 2 Pilot Metropolitans I use to process graduate student paperwork; the coffee cup full of Lamy AL star, Safari, and Vista fountain pens on my desk; and the two Mont Blancs.

What are you using, lusting at, wishing you never bought?

-Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I carry an Ohto Tasche pen. It's compact and opens to the size of a regular pen.

Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1681 Post(s)
    I’ve got a small collection of fountain pens... a couple Pilot Metropolitans, Lamy Safaris/Al-Stars, TWSBI Eco-T, and a Kaweco Liliput. The Kaweco lives in my pocket along with a small Moleskin notebook and I rotate between the rest for general work and everyday writing purposes. The TWSBI is the most recent acquisition as I’ve started to get more into bottled inks rather than cartridges.

I also have a less exciting but extremely reliable Fisher space pen (rollerball) that lives in my car.

I recently discovered one of my coworkers has started collecting fountain pens as well, so we nerd out about them together. He is the one who turned me on to TWSBI.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quoted
    864 Post(s)
    this is an area I am avoiding because it will be a rabbit hole. I tend to collect things.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    this is an area I am avoiding because it will be a rabbit hole. I tend to collect things.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    ... conceivably my collection would look something like this:

Timex Weekender
    Quartz chrono (probably a Seiko or Casio edifice)
    Fossil with brown dress shoes
    Hilfiger with black dress shoes

I wouldn't have use for anything much more than that.
    That post is from almost 3 years ago. Oh if I only knew then...

On-topic, I have a Fisher AG7 on the way from Amazon. I hope this isn't my first step down that rabbit hole.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    981 Post(s)
    I have a Mont Blanc pen that I quite like. The pen writes beautifully. Trouble is I very little reason to write these days. I take a laptop computer with me to all of my meetings. When I'm at home I'm either sending or reading email. And the few times I do have to write (say to make a list when going to the store) I just grab whatever is handy and jot down my list. Which is a shame too since the Mont Blanc is such a nice pen.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    I'm an MD, so I have a lifetime supply of disposables from all of the pens reps leave me. That and sticky pads.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Oh, this hole. I have been down it like you wouldn't believe.

When I was an academic, I had much more pen-and-paper writing than I do now in my more officey career. My refusal to leave my fountains/good pens at work means that I often forget to have or use them at work.

But here is a listing of the pens I own (and can recall). (Let's not get started on inks…)

Delta Italiano M nib
    Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point in Blue "Carbon Fiber" with F and M nibs
    Pelikan M205 Demonstrators in Green and Grey, F nib
    Pelikan M400 in Tortoise, F nib
    Pelikan M600 in Red, F nin
    Namiki Falcon variable/flex nib, gold "furniture" (although when they came out with the silver furniture I wished I had gotten silver instead)
    Lamy Safari, blue, F nib
    Lamy Al-Star, dark grey, F
    Waterman Phileas in black. Probably a fine point
    Three different Parker 51s: a vintage pen that simply can't be beat. These need some small repairs, and I should probably get in gear and do that, as I do LOVE writing with these
    Spalding aluminum, M nib

I'd likely part with any of the following:
    Monteverde mini pen of a model I cannot recall. One of those "this is a deal too good to pass up" purchases. As with clothes, I really don't use it.
    Conklin something or other in M nib (Don't love this, and should find a way to get rid of it; good pen, just not my thing)
    couple of novelty type things that people have given me

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    @napaxton, How do you like the Namiki Falcon and VP?

-Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Haven't used the Falcon as much as I anticipated. I like flex nibs, but got distracted by the Noodler's Ahab and Konrads, which are true flex rather than semi-flex nibs. But the Falcon was a good writer.

I love my VP. Probably my favorite nail right now. The Delta is my smoothest writer, but with my wretched writing, the medium nib can be a bit thick.