Thread: Tux/Formal attire help needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Tux/Formal attire help needed

I'm planning to attend a gala next Saturday and have limited options here. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to get a cheap tux or tux jacket. I have a grey suit that I think would work fine, but it would be nice to have a jacket that I could use at times like these (very few occasions for formal attire in South Dakota).

And, what types of jackets could I get to then wear with grey suit pants and black shoes? Would this jacket work?

https://www.landsend.com/products/me...36?sku_0=::F7M

Could that be worn with medium grey pants, black shoes, black braces and a black bow tie?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)
    No jacket is appropriate for formal attire with grey pants in the evening. For a whimsical look you could wear a smoking jacket or similar, but only with black tuxedo trousers with braid. If you need something affordable and quick, I would wear your suit with a crisp white shirt (consider French cuffs), well polished black shoes and an elegant tie. A pocket square would also be nice. For evening, you could wear a tie with a bit of a sheen, especially if you expect candles or other dim lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Ok, I do have a white shirt with French Cuffs that I was planning to wear. How about with this tie in black?

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/33524

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    I attended a formal thing in mid-December and when I tried my tux on a few days before, my wife was like, "NO, NO, and NO." At first I resisted--I had worn it over the last ten or fifteen years once or twice a year and there was nothing wrong with it--no holes, no shiny spots, etc.

But then I took a hard look. I purchased it when a much looser fit was in style. And it was probably too big then. By today's standards, it was a circus tent on me. It needed replacing. Indeed, it was horrible.

But I only had about three days.

Macy's to the rescue. Tommy Hilfiger label. Tux separates. With hems for the trousers already in. In stock. Fit me perfectly with no tailoring. On sale was about $239.

Fast, cheap, and worked fine.

Is it a "great" suit? No. But good enough and inexpensive? Yes.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I attended a formal thing in mid-December and when I tried my tux on a few days before, my wife was like, "NO, NO, and NO." At first I resisted--I had worn it over the last ten or fifteen years once or twice a year and there was nothing wrong with it--no holes, no shiny spots, etc.

But then I took a hard look. I purchased it when a much looser fit was in style. And it was probably too big then. By today's standards, it was a circus tent on me. It needed replacing. Indeed, it was horrible.

But I only had about three days.

Macy's to the rescue. Tommy Hilfiger label. Tux separates. With hems for the trousers already in. In stock. Fit me perfectly with no tailoring. On sale was about $239.

Fast, cheap, and worked fine.

Is it a "great" suit? No. But good enough and inexpensive? Yes.
    I've got the same. Not great, but works.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    P.S.: I've had a few glasses of wine tonight, but I'll tell you this straight up, even sober: No way, in my opinion.

You'd be better to wear a black suit with a white shirt and nice dark tie.

The idea for formal wear is to NOT stand out, unless you're doing it in subtle ways, or because your clothes are exceptionally well cut and fitted.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; January 12th, 2018 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    Finally, if you really want to go on the inexpensive, I've purchased formal wear for costume purposes, used on ebay from tux shops. I think about $40 each time.

Both times the clothes have been in acceptable shape.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    The "Black Watch" green and blue tartan jackets go with light or dark grey trousers. Navy looks good as well. Olive, khaki, or black works. Jeans work too. That pattern is easy to pair.

Did you ask two separate questions? I would agree on the Macy's separates.

If you do want a tartan jacket for a formal event, it should have tuxedo lapels. And, I think wearing a Black Watch tartan dinner jacket is awesome. I would like to see a picture and I will envy your mojo. At the same time, I would caution to not take such a style move lightly. This is not like everybody else has a flat bow and you have a pinched bow, this is like everybody else has a flat bow and you are Bruce Lee.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    That green and blue jacket can only be pulled off by someone who is confident with his own style. If you have to ask about it then you're not that confident and should probably lean more conservative.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    387 Post(s)
    That's not a tux, even though lands' end calls it one. Tuxedo's have shiny lapels that are black.

Also, that is really short notice to go shopping for a tux.