Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groom Attire? Destination Wedding Advice Needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Question Groom Attire? Destination Wedding Advice Needed

Hey gang -

For you fashion mavens, I could use some seasoned advice.

We're having a casual destination wedding celebration in Mexico in a couple of months.

I've been striking out on finding lightweight summer options since it's January. I have been looking for
    athletic/slim fit linen pant in 'Stone' or light gray and shoes to go with them.

Here's what I DON'T want to wear. Hoping it will help give you a better sense of what to recommend.
    I would prefer not to wear a full suit or vest.
    I don't want to wear oxfords or any other 'dress' show.
    I don't want to overheat so a traditional dress might not fly.

I'm open to suspenders, bow-tie, and any suggestions y'all might have.

The bridesmaids will be wearing Navy dresses.

Whatcha got? Bonus points for links.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    387 Post(s)
    When you say that you don't want to wear a suit, do you mean that you don't want to wear a jacket? Is that because you are worried that it will be too hot? Or is it that you just don't like dressing too formal?

Also, where is the wedding? Is it on a beach, in a church, inside a hotel etc.

I would strongly recommend that you at least wear a jacket. You will look better in it. You could even get a linen suit. Also, if you don't wear a jacket you risk looking less dressed up than a male guest. Really as groom, you are expected to be the best dressed, or at least most formally dressed man there. If you go without a jacket, it is setting the formality bar really low.

If you want a specific recommendation for suits and shoes, you should say your budget.

I do suggest either some suede loafers or desert boots, if you are going with linen pants.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Navy dresses for the bridesmaids seems awfully formal for a tropical destination wedding. Most of them I've seen, the bridesmaids are wearing pastels or flora prints.

Your level has got to match or exceed the other members of your wedding party to look proper.

You could go with a lightly structured tan linen or silk sport coat.

Maybe something like this: http://www.josbank.com/1905-collecti...sportcoat-12KY

But the navy dresses seem to suggest to me that you need to be more formal.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Suspenders and a bow tie without a jacket will give a clownish feeling.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    387 Post(s)
    The style misconception that puzzles me the most is the belief that somehow suspenders are a replacement for a cummerbund or even a jacket. IMHO suspenders without a jacket, although sometimes stylish is less formal than the same outfit with a belt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    A suit in a light colored linen would be appropriate and very comfortable. Paired with a white linen button down dress shirt and a navy pocket square and you should be good to go. Brown, light tan, or navy suede loafer are the way to go. Not particularly cooling on the feet, but they match the level of dressiness that the casual suit/shirt combo brings.

As a side note, a tropical weight wool, especially one in a loose weave like Fresco, will be a better option than linen imo. Linen, once wet, takes a good while to dry and can be wrinkly. Linen shirt could be swapped out for a polo shirt, but that is much less classy for a groom's attire imo.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Navy dresses for the bridesmaids seems awfully formal for a tropical destination wedding. Most of them I've seen, the bridesmaids are wearing pastels or flora prints.
    Oh, yeah. That's way formal for a tropical destination wedding. Bridesmaids in navy dresses and the groom in linen pants and no jacket would be weird.

If you're going so casual that you're not even wearing a jacket, then the bridesmaids should be in something way less formal than navy dresses. I'd suggest casual light colored dresses without even matching (but I'd always suggest not matching).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post

Your level has got to match or exceed the other members of your wedding party to look proper.

You could go with a lightly structured tan linen or silk sport coat.

Maybe something like this: http://www.josbank.com/1905-collecti...sportcoat-12KY

But the navy dresses seem to suggest to me that you need to be more formal.
    I was thinking the same thing. I have friends that did that rustic suspenders no jacket look ... it wasn't my cup of tea. I think it's more of a trendy pinterest type photo than proper for the occasion.

I, as others have indicated, would recommend finding the right kind of jacket. At the very least a nice vest with a tie or bow-tie of choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply! Appreciate the advice.

We're not holding a formal ceremony so I feel if I wear a jacket that it'd come home after our dinner prior to the reception.

Beach.

Budget = $500 - $750.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    Suspenders and a bow tie without a jacket will give a clownish feeling.
    This gave me a good laugh. Thanks for the honesty.