Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Groom Attire? Destination Wedding Advice Needed

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    A suit in a light colored linen would be appropriate and very comfortable. Paired with a white linen button down dress shirt and a navy pocket square and you should be good to go. Brown, light tan, or navy suede loafer are the way to go. Not particularly cooling on the feet, but they match the level of dressiness that the casual suit/shirt combo brings.

    As a side note, a tropical weight wool, especially one in a loose weave like Fresco, will be a better option than linen imo. Linen, once wet, takes a good while to dry and can be wrinkly. Linen shirt could be swapped out for a polo shirt, but that is much less classy for a groom's attire imo.
    Awesome advice. Have any specific links you could share?

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Oh, yeah. That's way formal for a tropical destination wedding. Bridesmaids in navy dresses and the groom in linen pants and no jacket would be weird.

    If you're going so casual that you're not even wearing a jacket, then the bridesmaids should be in something way less formal than navy dresses. I'd suggest casual light colored dresses without even matching (but I'd always suggest not matching).
    Valid points! Do you know of any popular jackets that would be lightweight and more on the casual side?

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I have friends that did that rustic suspenders no jacket look ... it wasn't my cup of tea. I think it's more of a trendy pinterest type photo than proper for the occasion.

    I, as others have indicated, would recommend finding the right kind of jacket. At the very least a nice vest with a tie or bow-tie of choice.
    Any jacket recommendations to go with the Navy dresses?

  4. #14
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wingking13 View Post
    Awesome advice. Have any specific links you could share?
    Suitsupply is an easy option as long as you know your size. I haven't had any issues with the accuracy of their size guides.

    I'm personally not the skinniest guy, so the Havana fit is my go to. The check pattern will add a bit of interest to your outfit and the tan color should pair well with Navy/White/Ivory/Cream dresses (not sure what color your fiancé is going for).

    https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...D&prefv2=linen

    Otherwise, I'd look around quite a bit. It's hard to make recommendations without knowing if you want to be able to try it on in person, since store locations vary. I personally had a good experience with Black Lapel for my wedding and I know that they offer Fresco fabrics for a fully customized made to measure suit (probably run you $500-800 depending on options).

    Other thing to remember is that a lot of the summer options are not out right now. Probably 2 months from now your options will increase significantly.

  5. #15
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wingking13 View Post
    Any jacket recommendations to go with the Navy dresses?
    Are you going with a suit or a sport coat separate from the pants you mentioned? I would highly recommend a suit and then it sort of depends on your fit and budget. As mentioned, if you want something to stand out a bit I'd look at the suit supply summer suits and go try some on. Probably something in the sand to gray tones and then pull in the navy blue with an edged pocket square and boutonniere with those colors. It really depends how dark the navy is of the bridesmaids. That is an awfully formal color and look for a tropical wedding.

    Personnally, I'd probably keep it classy and simple. The wedding is the brides day for looks, you are supposed to look the part, and be well put together.

    I'd probably do this type of suit and accessories to pull in some color: https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...D&prefv1=linen

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Are you going with a suit or a sport coat separate from the pants you mentioned? I would highly recommend a suit and then it sort of depends on your fit and budget. As mentioned, if you want something to stand out a bit I'd look at the suit supply summer suits and go try some on. Probably something in the sand to gray tones and then pull in the navy blue with an edged pocket square and boutonniere with those colors. It really depends how dark the navy is of the bridesmaids. That is an awfully formal color and look for a tropical wedding.

    Personnally, I'd probably keep it classy and simple. The wedding is the brides day for looks, you are supposed to look the part, and be well put together.

    I'd probably do this type of suit and accessories to pull in some color: https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...D&prefv1=linen
    I like this suit a lot. What shoe would you recommend with it?

    Came across these yesterday but not sure about them:
    http://www.sperry.com/en/hamilton-ii...=sale-men-shoe

  7. #17
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wingking13 View Post
    I like this suit a lot. What shoe would you recommend with it?

    Came across these yesterday but not sure about them:
    http://www.sperry.com/en/hamilton-ii...=sale-men-shoe
    More information is needed to give you as solid answer. Is the wedding on a beach or just in a tropical destination. If on a beach then the footwear changes completely.

    Personally I wouldn't wear those shoes with a suit regardless of the destination.

    Where is the actual ceremony being held? How formal are the bridesmaids dresses?

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    More information is needed to give you as solid answer. Is the wedding on a beach or just in a tropical destination. If on a beach then the footwear changes completely.

    Personally I wouldn't wear those shoes with a suit regardless of the destination.

    Where is the actual ceremony being held? How formal are the bridesmaids dresses?
    Tropical destination. We might walk down to the beach for a few pictures but the celebration is taking place on the resort in a small garden-style setting.

    We've told the bridesmaids a color and they're choosing what dress they want to wear. It could vary on how formal they are.

  9. #19
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,725
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1644 Post(s)
    It’s your wedding so do what you want but I would not wear driving mocs with a suit, no matter how casual the suit.

    If you want to wear a loafer I would opt for something sleeker and dressier in snuff suede.

    Ben

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Like others have said, I would definitely wear at least a jacket. If I were to get married at the beach, I would shoot for a look like these:

    https://imgur.com/VrCECq1
    https://imgur.com/AxI4RGb

    I would get a linen suit from suit supply and go with some suede loafers like LesserBlackDog posted. DSW has some that come in a Navy or Cognac.

    Shoes:
    https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/go...ctiveColor=214

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •