Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Small things that make a difference

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Bacon View Post
    Planning: I've taken to physically writing out my thoughts before meetings and calls. I used to be strictly digital, but it has made a huge difference to take the time to write things out.
    I drafted a reply basically agreeing with this, but I thought it might come off as too old timey.

I started carrying a moleskine cashier's journal in a handmade leather cover so that I can write things down and check off todos with a pen instead of swiping on my phone. I find that I feel more secure about having my "goals for the day" or "talking points for 11 am" written down on paper instead of in the ether somewhere.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    261 Post(s)
    I also recommend over the calf socks. Apart from the aesthetic advantages, they are much more comfortable as they don't fall down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Not as fancy as what @ianr is carrying, but I recently got a "nu board" for jotting down notes. It is basically 4 small white boards (front and back: 8 pages). This is an upgrade for me from the basic pocket notebooks I previously got from Staples. My wife and I own a Bridal Boutique (she runs it) and I got her one too. We both find them very useful.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)
    @ianr and @Haschoov where do you guys carry these small books of yours? And don't you find they bulk up your pockets? I like the idea of carrying something to write on, but after ditching the old 'fat' wallet for a slim money clip and card case, I'm in no rush to bulk up again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @ianr and @Haschoov where do you guys carry these small books of yours? And don't you find they bulk up your pockets? I like the idea of carrying something to write on, but after ditching the old 'fat' wallet for a slim money clip and card case, I'm in no rush to bulk up again.
    I work from home most of the time so I just leave it out on my desk. When I do go into the office it is in my briefcase. If I am out running errands or whatnot I typically leave it on the passenger seat or center console of the car. Not as convenient as having it in my pocket but it has worked for me so far.

One option is to get buckslips and just carry one in your pocket at all times.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    808 Post(s)
    I used to cary one of those small sprial notepads...the ones with the spirals on top...in my shirt pocket or back pocket when I was working desktop support. It was little and just for jotting quick notes when people stopped me int he hall instead of calling hte help desk LIKE THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK SAYS!!! Phew, flashbacks, sorry. For the bigger stuff I keep a pad at my desk. I keep notebooks for DIY projects. I agree, it helps to put pen to paper sometimes. And I feel smarter for some reason.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)
    In my inside jacket pocket. I find with a jacket, it balances my pockets from one side already having a phone in it.

The most annoying bulk to my pockets is my keys. I am thinking about getting one of those slim key things, but I don't know what to do about my car keyfob.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    898 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I used to cary one of those small sprial notepads...the ones with the spirals on top...in my shirt pocket or back pocket when I was working desktop support. It was little and just for jotting quick notes when people stopped me int he hall instead of calling hte help desk LIKE THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK SAYS!!! Phew, flashbacks, sorry. For the bigger stuff I keep a pad at my desk. I keep notebooks for DIY projects. I agree, it helps to put pen to paper sometimes. And I feel smarter for some reason.
    Ah yes. The hallway stop and ask for advice/comment. I hear ya on that. I also sympathize with the notepad on the desk at work. I do this all time. Jot down quick notes and comments, etc. I find I use scrap paper a lot because I feel guilty taking a full sheet of paper for one or two things. The funny part is, by the end of the day that scrap paper is crammed full. So much so that a full sheet of paper would have probably worked better.

@Haschoov and @ianr Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    782 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    I also recommend over the calf socks. Apart from the aesthetic advantages, they are much more comfortable as they don't fall down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have bigger calves so OTC socks tend to snag my pants more. They are amazingly comfortable though and I would wear them if companies started making the legs a little larger on their pants.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Working on more athletic pursuits has highlighted to me how poor my posture is. I've been working on that too so my coaches will stop yelling "CHEST UP! CHEST UP!" at me every time I'm on a rowing erg or in the bottom of a squat -_-
    I have been rowing for several years. My coaches are still telling me to "Stop Slumping! Sit UP! Core!!"