Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small things that make a difference

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Small things that make a difference

What are small things that you do or wear that make you feel better and/or more confident? These could be things people typically do not notice, but are important to you. Let's try to avoid things like "wearing my Rolex" as this is not something everyone can implement in their routine.

To kick things off, I have my wife shave the back of my neck every other day. I used to trim it myself using an electric beard trimmer but having it cleanly shaven makes all the difference to me. I (and my wife now) cringe when out in public and someone has what appears to be a beard on the back of their neck.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    940 Post(s)
    Avoid being too "matchy matchy"

Mix textures. Even in the summer, this can make a big difference

replace worn shoe laces. I heard somewhere that you can look at someones feet and tell if they are dressed well or playing dress up. Meaning did they put on their one good suit or do they do this day in and day out. If the shoes are in good repair and the pants are well hemmed, they take care of their things. If the break is terrible and the shoes need a polish or are brand spanking new, they probably don't pay attention to things (style) on a daily basis.

embraced stylish comfort. A lot of people dress well but when they want to be comfortable they let it all go and wear unstylish or beat up clothes. I try to match my house clothes because you see your SO in them a lot and I dont want her primary impression of me to be a slob. Nothing crazy, I just avoid holes, stains, and try to match. Grey pants joggers/sweats, maroon thermal...something like that.

When I am too lazy to shave I at least clean up my neck. the difference in unshaven and cultivated scruff is just a few minutes and makes a differnce for people like me that have a beard that would connect tot heir chest hair and neck hair line if I let it go.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    921 Post(s)
    Comfortable socks. This has been something I have switched to in the past year but once a pair of socks looses some elasticity or just doesn't feel right I trash the pair. This goes for dress and casual socks.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Switching from a belt to suspenders for coat + tie outfits. My whole midsection area looks and feels a lot sleeker and I'm not having to pull my pants up or adjust my shirt tuck throughout the day.

Ditching undershirts and switching to a natural deodorant. Going without an undershirt is far more comfortable, especially in warmer weather, and using a natural deodorant instead of one with aluminum means no yellow pit stains.

Spraying the necks of my dress shirts with Oxiclean before every wash. Almost completely eliminates the development of ring-around-the-collar discoloration, and helped mostly remove old built-up discoloration on shirts that I thought were beyond saving.
    Ben

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Ditching undershirts and switching to a natural deodorant. Going without an undershirt is far more comfortable, especially in warmer weather, and using a natural deodorant instead of one with aluminum means no yellow pit stains.
    Any brand recommendations? There's no natural antiperspirants, correct?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Comfortable socks. This has been something I have switched to in the past year but once a pair of socks looses some elasticity or just doesn't feel right I trash the pair. This goes for dress and casual socks.
    Comfortable socks and underwear are a must here. I try to get at least 1 good pair of each every month and retire an older pair.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Haschoov View Post
    Crystal body deodorant stick for men (can be found on Amazon) has worked for me. Certainly interested in other brand recommendations.
    I like Herban Cowboy but you might want to do a search because I know the topic has come up several times before.
    Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    To add on to JBarwick and Haschoov's contributions, lightweight wool socks. I've dropped pretty serious cash on moisture wicking, antimicrobial tech fabrics, and never felt as comfortable as in high quality wool. Woolrich's merino hiking sock is a godsend, particularly when in a workplace where I have to wear ESD footwear and it makes having multiple pairs of shoes to rotate out prohibitively expensive. They fight the funk and keep me comfortable.

Also, waking up an extra 10-15 minutes early. I've been fighting my tendency to slap the snooze button and give myself a few minutes in the morning to collect myself and have some time with my thoughts over a good cup of coffee. It's a struggle to do it consistently, but when I do I feel like a different person.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    940 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    in my research, you are correct. only deodorant.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    940 Post(s)
    Switching from a belt to suspenders for coat + tie outfits. My whole midsection area looks and feels a lot sleeker and I'm not having to pull my pants up or adjust my shirt tuck throughout the day.
    I would do this if I wore suits. It just seems like it would be far more effective than a belt. When I was really skinny I had nothing for the belt to hang on to. Now I have a little more in the middle but not much...and it still wont hang on where it should.

Ditching undershirts
    I wear mine very sparingly now. You are right, its way mroe comfortable in the summer. I like button up shirts though and some gap too much for me to feel comfortable with in some environments. I picked up some tank tops to resolve that and it is still better than a full undershirt.

Spraying the necks of my dress shirts with Oxiclean before every wash. Almost completely eliminates the development of ring-around-the-collar discoloration, and helped mostly remove old built-up discoloration on shirts that I thought were beyond saving.
    also the sleeve cuffs.