Thread: Flannel shirt tips?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Flannel shirt tips?

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for some flannel shirts now that they should start going on sale.

Any favorite patterns or brands?

From what I've investigated so far:

- Land End - makes a really nice thick one I bought last year for $25
    - Uniqlo - thin and scratchy - no go
    - Banana Republic - had ugly patterns
    - Jcrew / JCF - possibly looking into a few of their patterns
    - Orvis - is quite expensive - around $50 on sale, but otherwise maybe a good option
    - LLBean - their stuff doesn't fit me - they have good quality but even their tailored fit was an awkward long shape on me

Anyone else I should be looking at in the < $30 range? I saw some woolrich ones on sale but really didn't like their patterns.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I bought a bunch of flannel shirts this fall. I got ones from Orvis, L.L. Bean, and Woolrich.
    My favorite are by far the Bean shirts. The tailored fit is perfect for a flannel shirt, slightly shaped but not very fitted. The Orvis shirt was excellent as well but extremely large, I had to get it taken in and it fits better now. Shoulders are still a bit too wide. The Woolrich one I like the least. Ridiculously baggy fit, and the fabric pilled up extremely within a couple wears. Woolrich does make several different lines of flannels so I may have been more pleased with a different one, I don't know.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1569 Post(s)
    Surprisingly, Brooks Brothers is my favorite brand for flannel shirts. I've found that they hold up better, stay softer, and pill less than Lands' End or L.L. Bean shirts over time. I also prefer the size of their collars over the likes of J.Crew. Of course they also tend to be pretty pricey.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    I'm partial to Lands' End flannel shirts. They fit me really well, appear to be of decent quality, and cost about as much as I want to spend for a flannel shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    Lands End for me too

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Dubs View Post
    I'm partial to Lands' End flannel shirts. They fit me really well, appear to be of decent quality, and cost about as much as I want to spend for a flannel shirt.
    Unfortunately LE doesn't seem to have any flannels in stock right now!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    I own several from LL Bean and love them. I had my tailor shorten them so they wouldn't look so long on me when untucked.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Eddie Bauer has some decently think and soft ones as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    I’ve got a couple from jcrew and jcrew factory. Love their colors and the price point. I’ve only had them a couple years but so far they hold up very well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Flannel shirt tips?

I've picked up a couple Goodfellow & Company ones from target and have really liked them. 24 bucks regular, I got one half price right before christmas. They are on the thinner side as flannels go, which isn't a bad thing. You can still wear them under a sweater or layer a T under them (or do both), which gives more flexibility (life long midwesterner, I'm all about the layering). The Amazon Basics ones aren't bad either, and I think are around 20 bucks.
    Last edited by bassopotamus; January 3rd, 2018 at 01:22 PM.