Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Year Of No Shopping

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Well I'm not sure if this counts as a cave in or not. I went to the running store last night because I needed some new athletic underwear. I ended up leaving with a few more items than I had originally bargain for. BUT they are are items that I actually need, as oppose to just wanting. For example I'm using pretty much all of the new items in a run tonight after work. So in my mind I'm still in the 'no purchase' camp. Now if I end up buying a pair of AE shoes during the seconds flash sale (unless it's already over) then that's another matter.
    Yep, if I did that I would call it caving. Especially if I walked out of the store with "a few more items than I had originally bargain for". For me, I have enough clothing to go without a single new item in 2018. Maybe, just maybe, if my only pair of running shoes delaminated, I would try to justify an exact replacement as "not shopping". Maybe. Hard line, I know, but that's my approach.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    Yep, if I did that I would call it caving. Especially if I walked out of the store with "a few more items than I had originally bargain for". For me, I have enough clothing to go without a single new item in 2018. Maybe, just maybe, if my only pair of running shoes delaminated, I would try to justify an exact replacement as "not shopping". Maybe. Hard line, I know, but that's my approach.
    This mostly seems reasonable even if stricter than many people would go. However, requiring an exact replacement is generally equivalent to forbidding replacement. You generally can’t buy the exact same athletic shoes unless you kill them within 6 months or so. True athletic shoes (as opposed to classics like All Stars) tend to have a very short shelf life before being replaced by a newer model

The same applies to many other things that might conceivably need replacement. You generally cannot get an exact replacement if your swimming trunks or raincoat tear.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    I think the question should be “what am I trying to accomplish” with this experiment, not “what are the rules and have I broken them with a purchase”.

My first goal is to stop the mindless purchasing because it’s a great deal or because it’s a great look and I wanted to try it for myself. Over the past 2 years, I have amassed a substantial wardrobe and it is time to sit back and enjoy it instead of adding to it.

My second goal is to reduce the size of my wardrobe. That is almost impossible if I continue to purchase things.

My third goal is to find out what brands/items work best for me. I have found that i can fall in love with something, purchase it, have it altered and then wear it 3-4 times before I find that it doesn’t work. I have a few shirts that are fantastic, but because of the deep scallop between the front and tail, they constantly come untucked on the side.

My final goal/objective is to just see if I can do it .

Based on the above, I would have no problem replacing my one pair of running shoes. I would have an issue replacing a shirt because it has a hole (I have ample replacements already, albeit maybe a different style/color/pattern).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    This mostly seems reasonable even if stricter than many people would go. However, requiring an exact replacement is generally equivalent to forbidding replacement. You generally can’t buy the exact same athletic shoes unless you kill them within 6 months or so. True athletic shoes (as opposed to classics like All Stars) tend to have a very short shelf life before being replaced by a newer model

The same applies to many other things that might conceivably need replacement. You generally cannot get an exact replacement if your swimming trunks or raincoat tear.
    Right... I think we are on the same page. I meant exact FUNCTIONAL replacement ... "My only running shoes blew out, so I am tossing them and buying another pair so I can keep up my exercise plan," NOT "every stitch must be identical."

This whole exercise is a minefield of slippery slopes (love that mixed metaphor) and enabling justifications, which I'm trying to convince myself to avoid...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I think the question should be “what am I trying to accomplish” with this experiment, not “what are the rules and have I broken them with a purchase”.

My first goal is to stop the mindless purchasing because it’s a great deal or because it’s a great look and I wanted to try it for myself. Over the past 2 years, I have amassed a substantial wardrobe and it is time to sit back and enjoy it instead of adding to it.

My second goal is to reduce the size of my wardrobe. That is almost impossible if I continue to purchase things.

My third goal is to find out what brands/items work best for me. I have found that i can fall in love with something, purchase it, have it altered and then wear it 3-4 times before I find that it doesn’t work. I have a few shirts that are fantastic, but because of the deep scallop between the front and tail, they constantly come untucked on the side.

My final goal/objective is to just see if I can do it .

Based on the above, I would have no problem replacing my one pair of running shoes. I would have an issue replacing a shirt because it has a hole (I have ample replacements already, albeit maybe a different style/color/pattern).
    This. All of it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    I think it’s hilarious how many of you have no discipline and are replying with your justifications for making purchases. Nobody is twisting your arm to participate, but don’t come up with some BS reason to buy something. It’s pretty sad...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    The Bonobos and Ledbury sales almost made me weak. I have 2 returns that I could justify swapping the money for a new purchase. I was somehow able to stay strong.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    I think it’s hilarious how many of you have no discipline and are replying with your justifications for making purchases. Nobody is twisting your arm to participate, but don’t come up with some BS reason to buy something. It’s pretty sad...
    Oh, he's an angry elf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-vQPxqzKWA

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    I think this is a rather harsh statement without understanding how this thread started. It was an article and for the first few pages people indicated how it would impact them. The general thought was to control frivolous spending. Everyone here has different budgets. Different goals.

For me, I analyzed the article. Thought a strict no spending wasn’t my goal but it did help me analyze how I would spend on my nicer clothes. So in reflecting on this article I passed on the SuSu outlet because I really didn’t need another sport coat despite wanting one. So no spending to me meant on my nicer clothes and determine my needs vs wants. The thread is helpful in terms of budget reminders. I can spend but I’d prefer to save for other items.

I did spend on workout clothes. Those to me are different. They are functionality based for what I needed. But I also analyzed when I was returning items this weekend on how items would fit into my wardrobe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I think this is a rather harsh statement without understanding how this thread started. It was an article and for the first few pages people indicated how it would impact them. The general thought was to control frivolous spending. Everyone here has different budgets. Different goals.

For me, I analyzed the article. Thought a strict no spending wasn’t my goal but it did help me analyze how I would spend on my nicer clothes. So in reflecting on this article I passed on the SuSu outlet because I really didn’t need another sport coat despite wanting one. So no spending to me meant on my nicer clothes and determine my needs vs wants. The thread is helpful in terms of budget reminders. I can spend but I’d prefer to save for other items.

I did spend on workout clothes. Those to me are different. They are functionality based for what I needed. But I also analyzed when I was returning items this weekend on how items would fit into my wardrobe.
    I understand how the thread started...I was the OP.