Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: The Year Of No Shopping

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Aaaaaaaand I'm out. I ended up buying a bunch of camera accessories last night. I told myself I was buying it for a class I'm taking. But the reality is I bought some items that I likely could have gotten away without since I was doing just find without the items until now.

On the plus side, this now frees me up to buy shoes, shirts, jeans, hats, socks...you get the picture.
    Well, I did buy food in January. And beer. And ski clothes for my (growing) kids. None of that counts for me because none of it duplicates stuff I already have in my filled closet that I do not wear enough (the beer does add to my gut, but that is a topic for another thread...)

Stay strong!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    Well, I did buy food in January. And beer. And ski clothes for my (growing) kids. None of that counts for me because none of it duplicates stuff I already have in my filled closet that I do not wear enough (the beer does add to my gut, but that is a topic for another thread...)

Stay strong!
    Agree! If you stumbled, get back on the saddle...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)
    And out ... CT Shirts sent a $50 voucher, so got a new dress shirt to replace an older one and metal collar stays for $9.95. That's why I don't like a hard stance but did appreciate this thread. It would seem silly to me to pass on getting a new dress shirt for $10 but it did help me show restraint on new redundant ties and rushing a sport coat from the Suit Supply outlet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I didn't commit to a year of no shopping, but I did decide that there's nothing (clothing-related) I really need, so I'm not going to shop for stuff unless something really comes up. One month in and going strong. With that being said, I need a long-sleeve running shirt of two, but I've been getting by thus far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    If I can resist Allen Edmonds for $223, I can resist anything...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    824 Post(s)
    making trades doesnt count does it? It isnt spending.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    448 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    making trades doesnt count does it? It isnt spending.
    Depends on what your goal is. Is it to not spend money? Then trading is fine. Is it to stop obsessing over fashion or to stop acquiring new items? Then trading might or might not be fine, depending on how it's happening. Combing the boards for WTT instead of combing J Crew sales is more cost effective but still essentially shopping.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    824 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Depends on what your goal is. Is it to not spend money? Then trading is fine. Is it to stop obsessing over fashion or to stop acquiring new items? Then trading might or might not be fine, depending on how it's happening. Combing the boards for WTT instead of combing J Crew sales is more cost effective but still essentially shopping.
    Fair point. I am going to post some watches for sale and I lays get trade offers. For me, I don't think that is breaking the spirit of what I want. I am not out actively searching and I am not spending money.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    So far so good. But I'm on the fence about the BB AE shoes. I've needed a burgundy/merlot pair for a while and I can't decide if I want to go with the poron sole or not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    So far so good. But I'm on the fence about the BB AE shoes. I've needed a burgundy/merlot pair for a while and I can't decide if I want to go with the poron sole or not.
    Iím wearing a pair of AE shoes with Dainite and Poron. They are go-to travel shoes for me. Comfy... (I know that doesnít help the thread... stay strong!)