Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Year Of No Shopping

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    Personally I think it's better to have a budget then a strict go no go type thing. Stuff happens, items break, etc.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    I like this concept. Im someone that usually researches the heck out of my purchases before pulling the trigger, almost always waiting until I can get it for a discount.

With that said, it's a good thought experiment to realize to be content with what I have.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theskillets View Post
    There was a Dappered "No Spend Challenge" a few years ago.
    https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...allenge/page17
    I failed on the 11th day LOL! Pretty sure I won't last another one because I've been putting off buying a pair of shoes for soooo long.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Personally I think it's better to have a budget then a strict go no go type thing. Stuff happens, items break, etc.
    I agree with this. I feel like I'm diciplined enough to adhere to the 'everything in moderation' motto whereas an arbitrary ban on something doesn't sit well with me mentally and 'one size fits all' approaches are usually not practical. I have no problem sticking to a budget but I guess for someone who has troubles doing that then they need some sort of stricter measures.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    I think I'm going to make this "The Year of Much Less Shopping".

I think I'm also going to make this "The Year of Rediscovering Cool Stuff I Already Own".

I recently realized that I have stocked up on more things than I will really "use up" for many years. This year was a particularly bad (or good depending on your perspective) year for jackets. I went from zero to two bomber jackets, from zero to three french worker jackets, from zero to two trucker jackets, etc. And I have an authentic pattern A-2 pilot jacket that I should be breaking in. Etc.

This coming year, I'm going to try to shop very little. When the urge to buy hits me, I'm gonna dive into my closet and pull something I haven't worn for a while instead.

That's the theory, anyway... think it will work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I think that Iím going to try this too.
    Iíd love to convince my wife of the same.

I read a few comments above about why this may not work for you ó a sport coat or pair of pants that needs replacement, a specific pair of shoes, etc. I think that this could still work for you if you put those 1-2 items on a list as the ONLY clothing or shoe purchase that you make this year. (I may do that myself.) You could even go a step further and say that you can buy one after 3 months with no purchases, and the other after 6 months.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    @motosacto,

I think it will work. You might find it helpful to borrow the logic behind "out of sight, out of mind" and keep those really cool items easily accessible and visible in whatever clothing storage system you use.

There is a coat and a pair of shoes that I want, but the former most likely will never go on sale (so I'll try to find it on eBay) and the latter will be available in July so I'm safe for the first part of the calendar year. I'm planning on not adding any items to the closet unless something else is leaving it, whether that be because I've worn it out or because I don't wear it enough to warrant keeping it.

Best of luck!
    -Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    I went through a time, approximately when i signed up for dappered, when I had just found mens fash stuff, and was buying a lot all the time. While I would be emphatic that this site has been very helpful in originating a lot of my preferences, I have moved on from having to buy stuff all the time quite a bit.

Most of this has stemmed from just having most of the things already.

A lot of it is also that I think I have a bit less excitement about it in general. But at this point I have to at least keep the wardrobe together.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    *frantically spends money before Jan 1 hits*
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    *frantically spends money before Jan 1 hits*
    haahaa... same here. I need to go to Suit Supply and Hugo Boss...