Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Year Of No Shopping

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    After I stopped going to WUS forums daily, cut out a few shops I frequented to see their used stock, etc., my watch purchase frequency (and my overall want for watches) went down drastically. I still really enjoy watches, but I'm not in a constant state of yearning for a new one anymore. Which is nice, since I have other stuff where that money should go this year and next.
    My problem is since I no longer visit a lot of the fashion blogs and sites, I now read all the watch blogs and sites.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I could benefit from this tremendously but:
    1. I have been eyeing a pair of Carminas for the past 3 months (first pair ever) so...
    2. My work horse Navy sports coat (Suitsupply Hanava) is starting to show some wear and may need to be replaced

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I might go "halfway" and purchase from only Goodwill/ Salvation Army once a month......for the entire year.

I can do this.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Iím in the same boat as many of you...my closet is full of clothes. Iím at a point where I donít ďneedĒ a thing. Iím going to cut out the browsing my favorite storesí websites and likely avoid the mall all together.

Iíll probably stop visiting Dappered, Primer, etc, although I do like that they provide value in helping me come up with new ways to wear the clothes I already have. Iíve used Pinterest for this purpose with success, too, but Iím worried Iíll get the urge to buy something.

One thing that cracked me up was the poster above who mentioned ďcompletingĒ his wardrobe. My wardrobe is certainly ďcomplete,Ē but I always seem to find some beautiful blazer that was originally $700 marked down to $200 that will look great the one time a month that I wear it. Or Iíll find a pair of pants that fit amazing and Iíll buy them in 4 colors. I tell myself that I ďneedĒ a nice navy or charcoal suit, but I wear a suit twice a year. Itís time for me to break the cycle!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    I really like this idea. My wardrobe is complete, including selling off extras. However, I will likely have to buy some items next year to replace those that wear out.

If I can only replace those items (likely 2-3 dress shirts and 2 pairs of pants) in 2018, I'll be very happy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Iím in the same boat as many of you...my closet is full of clothes. Iím at a point where I donít ďneedĒ a thing. Iím going to cut out the browsing my favorite storesí websites and likely avoid the mall all together.

Iíll probably stop visiting Dappered, Primer, etc, although I do like that they provide value in helping me come up with new ways to wear the clothes I already have. Iíve used Pinterest for this purpose with success, too, but Iím worried Iíll get the urge to buy something.

One thing that cracked me up was the poster above who mentioned ďcompletingĒ his wardrobe. My wardrobe is certainly ďcomplete,Ē but I always seem to find some beautiful blazer that was originally $700 marked down to $200 that will look great the one time a month that I wear it. Or Iíll find a pair of pants that fit amazing and Iíll buy them in 4 colors. I tell myself that I ďneedĒ a nice navy or charcoal suit, but I wear a suit twice a year. Itís time for me to break the cycle!
    I'm in the same cycle... haahaa.

I think I will only purchase when I get a gift card for birthday or anniversary or valentines. That usually comes to four times a year.
    Although the dark side is urging me to splurge on this beautiful Coach briefcase I just saw in the store... finding the perfect bag for work has been a journey and I feel like this comes very close. Beautiful supple leather... pictures don't do justice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Since it's not the new year yet, here is my reddit post on the $143 Barbour deal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalef...or_175_at_end/

My Beaufort is one of the most useful pieces of clothing I own, and I don't really need another waxed jacket so I myself passed on this deal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I think I need to try this. I've built up a good wardrobe and spent a lot over the last 2 years, I don't NEED anything. Definitely no shoes.

I might need to replace a dress shirt or 2 though.

I fall victim to deals. Did I need those jcrew chukkas for 45ish or the jcrew Chippewas for $100? Nope.... But too good to pass!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    There was a Dappered "No Spend Challenge" a few years ago.
    https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...allenge/page17
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theskillets View Post
    There was a Dappered "No Spend Challenge" a few years ago.
    https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...allenge/page17
    I was just about to mention that. I think we've done it a few times now. I may have actually started the first one in 2014 I believe (although I didn't make it very far). If someone wants to start a thread, we can try it again. As long as watches are excluded, I feel pretty good about my chances this time around.