Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: The Year Of No Shopping

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Well 2018 has come and gone. How did everyone do? Anyone make it for the full year?
    I only did the second half, but I did make it those six months (July 1st through December 31st) without buying any clothes/shoes/watches etc. at all for myself. I did buy my wife a pair of running shoes and a sweater for Christmas. Also, I did receive a pair of Becket Simonon double monks in early September that I had ordered and paid for in June. (I'll do a review of them soon - they're good).

My goal for the next six months is very little shopping, but not none whatsoever. I need to pick up a couple of pairs of shoe trees. I had some J. Crew rewards and so this morning I ordered a green turtleneck - http://www.jcrew.com/p/J7337 - for just under $15 out of pocket. (I already have a turtleneck in mid-grey so that ruled out the two grey ones. I would have liked the mahogany color most, but it was sold out).

I also have some Banana Republic rewards that will expire. But other than that, I'll try to make it through another six months mostly unscathed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Well I'm trying it out this year. Anybody want to join me this year?

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    I'm in. Here's hoping I have better luck in 2019 than I did in 2018

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    264 Post(s)
    I failed so badly in ‘18 that I am saving myself from failure this year! I have pledged to be more mindful of what I purchase. I started a focus on clothes ethically made, and it sure has cut down on impulse buys! It is hard to find this stuff in stores, and they tend to cost 2-5 times more. I am at a place where I am mainly upgrading existing items, so I can afford to take this strategy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Well 2018 has come and gone. How did everyone do? Anyone make it for the full year?
    This was my Year of Less Shopping. I did well for the first half, kinda broke in the fall, then got back on the wagon at the end.

My “legit” (I.e. conscious and planned) purchases were one watch (my current favorite - Seiko Presage Baby Snowflake); one sport coat (BB gun check Harris Tweed I have been eying for years that went on deep deep sale); a couple of button down dress shirts (replacements for ones with worn-out collars); and a few socks and skivvies (also replacements for worn out items)

The break was a handful of casual shirts, a couple of counter/work coats, and a couple of pairs of sneakers, none of which I needed.

I’m happy that I am at least paying attention and being more mindful in my purchases. Mostly.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    This was my Year of Less Shopping. I did well for the first half, kinda broke in the fall, then got back on the wagon at the end.

My “legit” (I.e. conscious and planned) purchases were one watch (my current favorite - Seiko Presage Baby Snowflake); one sport coat (BB gun check Harris Tweed I have been eying for years that went on deep deep sale); a couple of button down dress shirts (replacements for ones with worn-out collars); and a few socks and skivvies (also replacements for worn out items)

The break was a handful of casual shirts, a couple of counter/work coats, and a couple of pairs of sneakers, none of which I needed.

I’m happy that I am at least paying attention and being more mindful in my purchases. Mostly.
    That’s the big win. At some point we all should have a good foundation and we shouldn’t need to keep adding and adding year to year. Wardrobes should hit critical mass.

Selective and well thought purchases is key!