Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: has anyone washed their wool sweaters at home in the laundry machine?

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    FYI i did this. Had 2 100% wool BR henleys, after about a dozen wears each in the winter cold weather as a base layer, they started to itch from some sweat. I threw it in a mesh bag, used some woolite on gentle. Laid flat to dry. Noticeable minor pilling, but nbd, and I put it inside out. Might have shrank just a teensy bit but they fit better now. No regrets.
    Hey, out of curiosity where did you lay it flat to dry? I remember my mom used to put a towel down on the bed and then lay the sweater out there. When I mentioned this to the wife, she was most certainly not impressed as she figured the moisture from the sweater would soak through the towel and get the bed wet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Hey, out of curiosity where did you lay it flat to dry? I remember my mom used to put a towel down on the bed and then lay the sweater out there. When I mentioned this to the wife, she was most certainly not impressed as she figured the moisture from the sweater would soak through the towel and get the bed wet.
    I did it on the ironing board...sleeves weren't technically flat i guess

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)
    I did it on the ironing board...sleeves weren't technically flat i guess

I have a towel on my dryer I put sweaters on to lay flat.

I also often do it on the back of some dining room chairs I have and it's frankly fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    did you use a mesh bag like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Laundress-Was.../dp/B005MKGAM0

or a different one or a different method? i am open to all suggestions

I have a couple 100% wool henleys I wear without a layer underneath. Imo henleys just don't look good with a layer underneath.
    I've done it occasionally. Just got a new front loading washing machine a few months back and have not used it for sweaters yet, but I have, in the past, washed wool sweaters on cold delicate cycle in a top loading machine and they turned out OK. Don't use regular laundry detergent though - go for Woolite, or some other wool wash (e.g. Eucalan). These days I use Eucalan and hand wash as a general rule - Eucalan does not need to be rinsed which makes hand washing a lot more convenient. It also leaves a little conditioning lanolin (that's the natural oil in sheep's wool) behind on the garment which makes it a little softer.

I sometimes take my sweaters to the dry cleaners and have resolved to do that once a year in the spring from here on out, and hand wash as necessary in between. The reason being is moths rampaged through my sweaters this past summer. Dry cleaning kills moths/moth eggs/moth larvae. So hopefully dry cleaning the whole lot once a year will ensure that no further destruction occurs. I don't like dry cleaning every time they need cleaning as those chemicals can be a little harsh but they're not as harsh as moths.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    I have a mesh sweater dryer - it's basically an oval mesh around a oval hoop frame that you can curve using a string underneath with a toggle on it to get airflow all around the garment. Also have a clothing drying rack with several horizontal parallel bars and will lay a sweater over the bars so it's basically flat and no part of the sweater is being too stressed by a large amount of unsupported fabric - that's the main danger. Wool retains a lot of water, which is heavy, and if you just hang it that weight will stretch the garment out of shape.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    I got a wool sweater for Christmas in 2011. Wear it consistently. Still haven't washed or dry-cleaned.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)
    Alright. You guys have convinced me to give my sweaters a wash in the hopes they will regain their shape. Also, I was wearing one of my sweaters yesterday and noticed a lunch amount of pilling around the elbows. Looks like I'll have to be picking up one of those sweater de-piller machines. I think the local drug store sells one. Time to get my sweaters looking tip-top again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Alright. You guys have convinced me to give my sweaters a wash in the hopes they will regain their shape. Also, I was wearing one of my sweaters yesterday and noticed a lunch amount of pilling around the elbows. Looks like I'll have to be picking up one of those sweater de-piller machines. I think the local drug store sells one. Time to get my sweaters looking tip-top again.
    Don't bother with one of those pill removers. Just take a new disposable shaver/razor and lightly run it across the pilled surface until you're happy with the results

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)
    You guys ever wash more than one sweater at once? What about if they are different colours?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    You guys ever wash more than one sweater at once? What about if they are different colours?
    I feel that washing one sweater at a time is neither time efficient nor economical. Assuming that the colors don't run off, I just turn them inside out so any fuzz that comes off stays inside when worn. But if you are worried about colors mixing, I'd hand wash in a sink first to check. I know there are also color catcher things but never used them so not sure if they work.