Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: has anyone washed their wool sweaters at home in the laundry machine?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    My advice is to follow the care instruction. If they say machine washable, then do it in gentle cycle, and air dry flat ASAP.
    If it says hand wash or dry clean, I wouldn't risk it, as those sweaters tend to be too expensive to mess up, like merino wool or cashmere.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    I have merino wool sweaters that were bought on sale from Banana Republic. Dry cleaning them on a regular basis would rapidly exceed the cost of the sweaters themselves.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    I have a J Crew lambs wool sweater. It's now a bit of a beater, since I bought it thrift-ed. Anyway, I wore it to cut down our Xmas tree this year, and it got mud smeared on it. This morning, I put it in our front load washer with a cap of Woolite. l I washed it on gentle cycle and then laid it flat it on our kids' air hockey table. I turned on the table, and it was dry 30 minutes later.

I couldn't see any visible shrinkage.

Like most folks have commented, I rarely wash my wool sweaters unless they are visibly dirty. I've never noticed any stink or funk, and nor has my wife (who is not afraid of telling me when I smell "off").