Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boots on a budget?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I own those Stafford boots and I find it really surprising how people wear them. Because of the look and construction, they seem more like high-top dress shoes to me. I don't really think of them as boots, I wouldn't consider wearing them backpacking around Europe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Polyester III View Post
    I own those Stafford boots and I find it really surprising how people wear them. Because of the look and construction, they seem more like high-top dress shoes to me. I don't really think of them as boots, I wouldn't consider wearing them backpacking around Europe.
    I was wearing a pair regularly at work to avoid ruining good shoes in the shop. I developed knee pain. Switched back to wearing quality shoes (mostly AE) and the pain disappeared. I agree that counting on them to walk long distances or hike would be a risky choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
    I should have been more specific These are the new model “Stafford Hanks” boots, technically not the deacons. From JCP for $44.99.
    Thanks. I have a pair of AE higgins mill and now a pair of Jcrew kenton boots, but neither are the oxford type boot. Was thinking I could always pick up the JCP oxford boot to test out and see how i like the look before purchasing a pair of daltons.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Boots on a budget?

FYI the Hanks are made in India.

I’m a runner and I always add aftermarket insoles so my dress boots feel like Nike air to me.
    Last edited by carlitos; January 3rd, 2018 at 02:03 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awd View Post
    Long backstory made short: I live on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere. It's beautiful, but life here is expensive, and my wife and I make about half of what we did in the States, with many of our US costs still active. Money is always tight, especially since we are saving for travel. We're remote - it takes 6 -8 weeks to ship something here, so returns are difficult. Complicating matters for me is that the internet is so slow here that I can't really do tons of research, especially when I want to see pictures. I need help

We're going to be going traveling through Europe next August through November and I'm in dire need of shoes, as I currently don't own any (seriously). I plan on traveling fairly light - Navy blazer, 3 dress shirts, 2 pairs of slacks, maybe 1 pair of jeans, 2 t-shirts, a sweater, lots of socks, lots of undies, and one set of footwear.

I'd like a pair of boots to put on my feet. I need something that looks nice enough to get me into operas and symphonies, but are casual enough to be hard-wearing.

I'm leaning towards Chukkas due to cost, and I'd be willing to drop around $100 on a pair. I've never owned any and I'm not entirely sold on them: most have a weird shape to them that doesn't contour to the top of the foot well and crepe soles aren't my thing. What I do like is Chukkas come in a variety of colors, and are inexpensive enough I can get a funky color and build my travel wardrobe around them. If I pick up a pair for less than $100, I don't mind if they don't see much use after a 3 month excursion. Most Chukkas look like they have a larger toe box, is this true? After 3 years of walking barefoot or in flip flops, my toes have spread out quite a bit. Additional positive: I know Clark's size 10 fits me well, so no return issues if I get a pair of their DBs.

The other option would be spending more on something with some real stamina like a heritage work boot: rubber sole (smaller lugs would be nice), a cap toe would be great, and made of a leather that will age well (veg tan, horween, etc...) Imagine Red Wing Iron Rangers or Woolrich New Yorkers. I really like how these boots look and I'd buy either of these shoes in a heartbeat - if they were $200. I realize I'm asking a lot here, but there is just no way I can swing much more than $200 for shoes right now. I'm open to any sharp looking suggestions, boots or otherwise, in this price range.

Thanks!
    I was going to suggest these in black or burgundy, but they are pretty dang casual.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/ch...pewa~b~3187%2F