Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just getting into mens fashion....trying to find my "style". I'm wasting money. Help

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)
    If you're really lost, I disagree with many here about looking at look books, Instagram, etc. You will never find your own style that way if you don't have a starting point.

Since you are completely starting over, do what @drocpsu suggested. Only buy well made basics that fit you flawlessly for the next 6-months to a year. There are plenty of articles about the men's basic/starter pack wardrobe (charcoal or navy suit, white and light blue dress shirt, dark wash denim, etc). Make a checklist and start picking off those items.

Spend some time figuring out how all of those pieces interact. Mix and match to make basic, flawless fitting fits. When you feel comfortable there, start adding in your personal flair. Start small, like a patterned tie you really like. Then progress until you can pull off those blackwatch pants with cableknit turtleneck with a cashmere camel top coat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In addition to the sources stated above, take a gander at the Essential Man -

This article, I think, hits at addresses most of the major points/tips discussed so far.
    http://theessentialman.com/a-beginne...-dress-better/

Have fun -- I'm excited for you!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Spend some time figuring out how all of those pieces interact. Mix and match to make basic, flawless fitting fits.
    It sounds like this is what the OP is getting at -- having a lot of things but having a tough time putting it all into one package. I'm surprised I haven't yet seen anyone recommend the "how to wear it" from the $1500 wardrobe, as that's exactly what Joe does. Take the basic, timeless, staple pieces, purchased at reasonable prices, and use them to assemble a substantial number of outfits that can take you anywhere: https://dappered.com/2016/11/how-to-...wardrobe-2016/

The pieces mentioned there are honestly pretty boring, and certainly don't set you up for any more out-there celebrity-esque fits. But consistent with the aesthetic of this site, I think the argument is that you are more likely to stand out in a positive way for doing simple things well (i.e., fit) than for doing crazy things poorly.

This reminds me of a thread that came up a couple weeks ago where someone asked what piece of clothing people owned that generated the most compliments. Responses almost invariably consisted of the loudest or most garish items in people's wardrobes. It's not surprising; the average person can't NOT comment on your purple chinos. Someone commented that they much preferred when they're told simply that they "look good." I would agree.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)
    IMO, for business casual look at what is the norm at your workplace and take a step above in formality and make sure your clothes actually fit well. If cargo pants and polo is the norm, go to chinos and quality polo or button up shirt. Switch from sneakers to a PTB or chukka. The change in actual clothing is not that different yet will look much better and may not draw any unwanted notice except "he looks better than before but I can't place why".

As for street wear, how "streetwear" do you want to go? Hollywood actors can wear whatever they want due to fame but that doesn't mean it would look good on some guy walking down the street. If you want your look outside of work to be vastly different from work clothes then you'll need separate wardrobes for each. My weekend clothes range from business casual to sport coat and tie (which some consider business casual) and I have little interest in "streetwear". I have started going for a workwear look in order to blend in more with some of my younger friends when we go out and I've had an effect on them as they now dress nicer too. We meet somewhere in the middle most of the time we go out. Edgy is hard to pull off, expensive, and ephemeral. At 40, if you're as fit as Daniel Craig, you'll make virtually everything look good if it fits correctly and is age appropriate. I wouldn't necessarily take the SOs advice too seriously as you want to dress for you not someone else. If my wife had her way I'd wear skin-tight denim and boots with no shirt at home and only add a shirt when going out. This would be ridiculous and I'm sure as hell not wearing skin-tight anything.

Basic classic pieces for work and home to start, branching out from that as you decide which direction you want to take your personal style. Joe has tons of looks on the site and if something there excites you, try it out. You could probably buy the $1500 wardrobe and add a few pieces in more colors for each option and never need to buy anything else if you wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
    It sounds like this is what the OP is getting at -- having a lot of things but having a tough time putting it all into one package.
    Yes and yes. Thank you everyone, it has been very fun today (not getting any work done however) reading replies, as if we were all having a beer, and then searching out what you've suggested.

Very cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thank you Winghus - great advice.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    864 Post(s)
    @Fantasma Thanks! That was indeed what I was referring to.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    If you're unsure how to wear a certain item, just do a google images search for said item and fashionbeans. For example, "cardigan" and "fashionbeans". You'll see how they incorporate the cardigan into different outfits. Save the looks that interest you.

Also, it is never a good idea to buy the most expensive item you can (or can't) afford when you don't know how to use it yet. Buy cheap first, get used to incorporating the item into different outfits, and if you really end up liking it eventually replace it with a better quality version.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    If you're unsure how to wear a certain item, just do a google images search for said item and fashionbeans. For example, "cardigan" and "fashionbeans". You'll see how they incorporate the cardigan into different outfits. Save the looks that interest you.

Also, it is never a good idea to buy the most expensive item you can (or can't) afford when you don't know how to use it yet. Buy cheap first, get used to incorporating the item into different outfits, and if you really end up liking it eventually replace it with a better quality version.
    Good advice here. The "cheaper" version of something I lust after usually scratches my itch for the more expensive item just fine and you get the thrill of the deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post
    Good advice here. The "cheaper" version of something I lust after usually scratches my itch for the more expensive item just fine and you get the thrill of the deal.
    Indeed I feel I need to do this. I started out blowing 2k at Billy Reid, another 500 at uniqlo, jcrew, nordstrom....on and on. So I know I have some cool stuff, but I could have started much cheaper.

Case in point, the Billy Reid Bond Pea-coat. 800$ - there are some nice pea coats around 100. Mistake ...because I rarely wear it or know how to pair it. Pea coats almost look empty without a scarf, but I hate scarfs...always make me feel claustrophobic and I know it may sound stupid (don't make fun of me) but I was bullied in high school and was yanked to the ground from behind by a scarf. Yes, that sparked a career in US Army combat arms...but that's another discussion.

Thank you all for the tips.