Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boots for snow/rain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)

Boots for snow/rain

I currently have two boots for winter, some suede insulated boots, that are a bit like desert boots, but with more holes. These hold up well, but are not waterproof. My feet got soaked in wet grass.

My other are slip on Wellington style snow boots. They work well, but aren't stylish.

I need new boots, stylewise, I would like something leather and classic, but I don't know if that it practical. I would like something that I can walk to work in, and have my feet dry. I would also like to wear them at work, as carrying extra shoes would be a pain. I am not sure if I want to wear bean boots all day inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    If you're like me, you hate carrying crap in a bag/having a bulky bag outside of a briefcase or messenger bag......which means toting a spare set of office shoes is out of the question. With that being said, I opt for an all-weather dressy boot, that doesn't have any broguing on it. This is my nasty weather boot (in copper leather), and they are worn in nice....I've also had fun oiling just the heal and toe caps, leaving a cool aged patina. https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/red-win..._X72SnxfsbjsKg

Something to note however, is that they have a slick bottom, so dont bust your ass on ice when they are new.

HTH.....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    What is your work environment like, ie. formal, business casual, casual...?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by utopify View Post
    If you're like me, you hate carrying crap in a bag/having a bulky bag outside of a briefcase or messenger bag......which means toting a spare set of office shoes is out of the question. With that being said, I opt for an all-weather dressy boot, that doesn't have any broguing on it. This is my nasty weather boot (in copper leather), and they are worn in nice....I've also had fun oiling just the heal and toe caps, leaving a cool aged patina. https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/red-win..._X72SnxfsbjsKg

Something to note however, is that they have a slick bottom, so dont bust your ass on ice when they are new.

HTH.....
    You could have just said you wear Iron Rangers in bad weather. I would not call them dress boots either. Are they really all weather though?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    What is your work environment like, ie. formal, business casual, casual...?
    I should have mentioned it before, it is pretty casual. It is a small company, and the most dressed up the men are is a button down with a v neck.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    @ryn The Higgins Mill boot from Allen Edmonds might check off a few boxes for you. They definitely have a classic look to them and are leather. I dont know how they are comfort-wise, but Joe and @LesserBlackDog both recommend them, and they have a dainite sole, which I'm sure is a really comfortable alternative than say a leather or hard rubber sole. I have the Wolverine 1000 mile classic boot, but it has a leather sole and wouldnt be too good in the elements, but they have an alternative boot, similar with a more robust sole also.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)
    I was looking at those boots, but I am wondering how they stand up to the elements. I imagine the uppers must be polished well to be waterproof.

Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    The Higgins Mill uses Horween chromexcel which comes pre-impregnated with wax. Water just beads up and runs off mine. Of course you can enhance the waterproofness by maintaining that treatment and by treating the welt with a waterproofing conditioner as well.
    Ben

Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    The AE Surrey (in either chukka or chelsea) is also specifically marketed as waterproof and has a waterproof membrane (similar to Gore-Tex) so you wouldn't necessarily need to worry about treating the suede.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I was considering this recently, mainly looking at LLBean gumshoe for 3 season wear. Have the Maine Hunting shoes w/ liner as well, but sometimes they take a bit more effort to put on. Although both these require leaving/bringing a separate pair to work.

Also looking at Blundstone Super 550 http://gear.lifehacker.com/blundston...-18-1798634199

And Danner 917 http://www.danner.com/men/917-series...d=position-asc

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post
    I was considering this recently, mainly looking at LLBean gumshoe for 3 season wear. Have the Maine Hunting shoes w/ liner as well, but sometimes they take a bit more effort to put on. Although both these require leaving/bringing a separate pair to work.

Also looking at Blundstone Super 550 http://gear.lifehacker.com/blundston...-18-1798634199

And Danner 917 http://www.danner.com/men/917-series...d=position-asc
    Blundstones probably aren't considered stylish enough around here, but I've got 3 pairs and I love them. I've walked miles at a time in them. Worn them business casual. Stomped through mud, water, and snow. They are my go-to for 10 hour days on concrete. Definitely worthwhile.