Thread: Dress Shirt Help- To tailor or to buy up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dress Shirt Help- To tailor or to buy up

Hey guys, I have a slightly complicated question. I just got a new job and in the process of expanding and redoing my dress shirt wardrobe. I went to Nordstrom yesterday and tried on the highly recommended Smartcare Trim Fit Dress Shirts. Unfortunately, the fit would need darts on the back and taken in several inches the underarm for a perfect fit. In comparison, Nordstrom's extra trim fit was perfect but they didn't offer a true dress shirt fabric, felt more like a "clubbing shirt".
    My question is it worth it to try and tailor the shirts or is there another brand/ store that offers at the cost of a Nordstrom shirt plus the cost of tailoring. My preference would be to find another brand because of limited time before I need to move and start work. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    How many shirts did you get? You could try to tailor one or two for the time being, and then experiment with other brands. It looks like you're trying to spend a total of less than $50/shirt (if the shirt is $30, +$20 or so for tailoring) for the best fit. I haven't heard of stores that cover the cost of tailoring dress shirts, but I think that's a fairly typical price point for quality dress shirts.

TM Lewin (super fitted) and Charles Tyrwhitt (extra slim fit) have great shirts and it sounds like it might be what you're looking for. Wait for a sale. They will usually drop to sub-$40/shirt. TM Lewin actually has $29.99/shirt sales every month or so.

Hope that helps!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)
    Take a look at "TM Lewin (super fitted) and Charles Tyrwhitt (extra slim fit)" as suggested above and also look at Spier and Mackay's shirts. S&M lists actual measurements ( the others might also) and it makes it fairly easy to at least get close to what you need without needing tailoring. I buy nothing online if the seller doesn't list actual measurements and even then it can be off due to how they measure. S&M caters to young, slim men in business and casual settings so give them a look, there are a lot of options in the dress shirt sections for fabric and styling. They also have a pretty good deal on MTM shirts if that ends up being what you need.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I went through same thing as you with nordy smartcares. I ended up having tailor add darts and tailor sleeves which probably added $20-$25 to shirt cost + the hassle of having to do it. I would suggest you check out Bonobos tailored slim fit dress shirts if your issue is too much fabric around the waist. They come in precise neck and sleeve sizes too which is a plus over Nordstrom shirts. They are more expensive (~$100/each) but with sales you can get them in the 60 range and sometimes lower. Plus I think they have a standing offer promo of 3 for $225. Not cheap but for me it's only shirt I buy now as I don't have to worry about going to tailor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help. I didn't get any Nordstrom shirts barbecue they just didnt't fit. Adding moving, finding a place, having a new baby and starting a new job tailoring is the last option for me. I only at the Nordstrom price point because of the high reviews from around the sight. Looking at the S&M brand and the Charles Tyrwhitt right now.