Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's purses?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    My wife likes Brahmin handbags. She has several and all have held up well.

https://www.brahmin.com/handbags?sz=...t=0&loadmore=1

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    848 Post(s)
    Another vote for Longchamp as a popular bag that holds up well. My gf has one she's been (ab)using for years and it still looks good. I bought my sister one a couple years back and she's had similar experience. Obviously these aren't leather, but I'd also warn that something that's thick leather (which I assume many of the women's Saddlebacks are) will be a durable but also very heavy bag.

Hard to give brand recos for leather without pricepoint or what you're looking for.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    864 Post(s)
    As the saying goes "buy nice or buy twice". I have zero experience with purchasing purses. My wife doesn't really carry them if you can believe it. I mean she does have a purse, but I'd call it more of a carry-all bag than a purse.

A female friend of mine speaks highly of Coach purses. I suspect they are on the upper end of the price scale, but maybe worth looking in to?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    It all depends on how much you are willing to spend on a purse. There are way too many brands to list otherwise.

Coach outlets get a bad rep and rightfully so because of their logo-covered bags but the brand itself is turning around with more leather products that do not look like someone vomited the C logo all over it.
    Kate Spade is the new Coach, as far as outlet shopping goes. They are now ubiquitous but more understated (minus the ones w/ neon colors). IMO Kate Spade does it better than Michael Kors, the latter basically going down the exact same path that Coach took.
    Longchamp is great. Relatively inexpensive, and comes in a dozen different colors and half a doze sizes, as well as leather. Both my gf and my mom love theirs.
    Of course, moving up the ladder you have Gucci, Prada, Chanel, LV, Hermes, costing thousands and up to tens of thousands.
    Somewhere between the $200 and $5000 bag, I'm partial to Mulberry.

Coming back to your SO's requirements of 'durable and functional', I would think Longchamp would do nicely. Their LE PLIAGE line has leather models that come in around the $500 mark.

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    848 Post(s)
    Circling back, because I haven't seen it mentioned. Not sure how pervasive they are elsewhere, but the last few years have seen an uptick in Goyard bags (for women) and wallets (for men) in NYC. A little bit gaudy in terms of the pattern (I think it's kind of cool in a geometric sense), but not to the extent of a logo (e.g., LV). Will cost a pretty penny, I think the totes that are like Longchamp totes are north of $1,000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Saddleback. Dave is an old friend of mine and I've had him one-off a few bags/purses for me. Here's the thing. His bags are like tanks and I find the women don't like them because its like carrying a bullet proof box made of super thick boot leather. Awesome for dudes.....not so awesome for ladies.

I just hit up Burberry - they have a holiday on-sale rack and was able to get a clutch with strap for about 40% off retail. They have some great deals right now on super classy purses. Just a thought.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)
    I just looked at Longchamp's website. LOL, my wife would kill me if I ever spent that much on a purse for her. Saddleback looks good but it's all too rugged-looking for anything except the most casual purse.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    I just looked at Longchamp's website. LOL, my wife would kill me if I ever spent that much on a purse for her. Saddleback looks good but it's all too rugged-looking for anything except the most casual purse.
    Not sure if you're looking at the leather options, but the nylon Le Pliage bags, which are probably their most popular style, are routinely on sale for $100 or less.

Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    I just ordered a Longchamp bag for my mom based on this thread.

Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
    Holiday season, which means gift buying. My significant other is finally realizing that she keeps getting cheap purses that disintegrate in a few months, and is looking for something that is made of quality leather. She's not looking for some bazillion dollar fashion item; she wants something durable and functional. I see Saddleback has some options. Does anyone else have any recommendations? Thanks!
    Don't have any experience, but have lusted after their duffle bags:

https://www.jwhulmeco.com/collections/women

Also Frank Clegg
    https://www.permanentstyle.com/2016/...ars-later.html
    Last edited by 77Pat; December 6th, 2017 at 06:45 PM.