Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's purses?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Women's purses?

Holiday season, which means gift buying. My significant other is finally realizing that she keeps getting cheap purses that disintegrate in a few months, and is looking for something that is made of quality leather. She's not looking for some bazillion dollar fashion item; she wants something durable and functional. I see Saddleback has some options. Does anyone else have any recommendations? Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Impossible to answer without knowing her. Just go to Nordstrom, pick one in the price range you're comfortable with and make sure you get a gift receipt. Chances are she'll be interested in an exchange.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyone View Post
    Impossible to answer without knowing her. Just go to Nordstrom, pick one in the price range you're comfortable with and make sure you get a gift receipt. Chances are she'll be interested in an exchange.
    This strikes me as exactly what she's been doing, and not at all helpful advice.

Perhaps this will be beneficial: My wife purchased a canvas Kate Spade purse 2 years ago, it's held up quite nicely. This is one of the "dipped" bags, where there is an additional protective coating on the bottom half of the purse. Joe's featured similar bags from brother company Jack Spade. The handles are leather, and construction is overall good. I would say starting there, isn't the worst idea. It is hard with women's items overall, because construction and materials of a given item seem harder to come by for some reason. In any event, the above poster was right, get a gift receipt if possible.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)
    I think you’ll need some additional info given when I’ve done purse shopping for my wife.

Does she want a big bag, medium or small?

Does she like it to zip closed or stay open? My wife must have a zip closed purse she hates the others.

Does she like a certain style? Crossbody etc? What about colors?

From my experience working with my female coworkers and my wife when buying her ones:
    Coach outlet ones are not worth it. Even at 50% off most don’t last. They are fine purses but don’t think you’re getting coach high level quality.

More expensive doesn’t mean nicer leather. My coworker has Tory Burch bags and she doesn’t even bring them out for use. Same with her LV bags.

The best we’ve found isn’t a true leather purse but the leather like ones with coatings like Michael kors etc. or Kate spade. We’ve purchased at Marshall’s and other legit stores. Since purses are items that get a lot of abuse I don’t think it would hurt to go a little cheaper here and get them more often.

I would not equate a woman’s purse to like a mans brief case where you want one super quality item that will last and develops character.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)
    I suggest you look for forums that specialize in purses. I think the most well-known and available purses are designer purses and not heritage manufacturers.

I am assuming that you want a leather purse, in which case you can search for keywords like horween, calfskin, cxl etc.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    472 Post(s)
    I tried for a while to find items like this and was unsatisfied with what I found.

In womens apparel companies it seems, the "price" and the things that are nods to the "quality" of the item have zero actual connection. There are plenty of $1000 Coach or other "designer" purses made in china, and of ugly re-grained leather.

It's very hard.

I like the look of the kate spade stuff a lot, but if you think about the quality of them mens lines, while the products tend to actually look nice, the actual materials and build quality is poor for the price they're charging. I'm sure this is actually the case for the womens line as well. It's just hard, in any price point, to find any brands that ARE snazzy and made of quality materials like Chromexel leather or full grain leather.
    Last edited by evanparker; December 5th, 2017 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
    Holiday season, which means gift buying. My significant other is finally realizing that she keeps getting cheap purses that disintegrate in a few months, and is looking for something that is made of quality leather. She's not looking for some bazillion dollar fashion item; she wants something durable and functional. I see Saddleback has some options. Does anyone else have any recommendations? Thanks!
    If she'd like any of the saddleback purses, do it and be done with it. Saddleback stuff lasts forever. I have a briefcase from them that I've been carrying daily for 6 years that shows no signs of wear, and I'm pretty rough on it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    Longchamp are very popular right now but they seem to good quality for the price. My fiance has bags from Kate Spade and Michael Kors which have held up okay but she rotates them seasonally and only uses them for certain occasions. I bought her a Longchamp several years ago which she uses as her daily driver. The thing is pretty durable. Hers is still in good condition and she uses it for everything from work to the gym.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quoted
    416 Post(s)
    What I've learned from my wife is that Chanel bags are timeless and probably the most classy. Hermes are probably the most expensive and exclusive. Selene and some other ones have been hot recently. Longchamps has these nylon bags and backpacks that have been popular recently. If you can give me a price range that you're looking at, I can ask my wife what would be in fashion at the moment.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Really depends on whether she's only focused on quality / durability, or if she cares about brand and style as well.

It's a bit more difficult to determine quality when it comes to women's bags, as typically the actual quality of the bag itself isn't a huge selling point, it's more about brand name and the style. That being said I strongly disagree with the notion that there's no connection between price and quality in women's bags, it just takes a bit more effort and research because there isn't as much transparency around these things. Quite a few of the designer names use leathers (Hermes, Celine, etc.) that are better than leathers used by makers that are popular on Dappered like AE, Gustin, or Saddleback.

In any case, I'd go to somewhere like purseforum and ask there. I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion on here (mine included) when it comes to choosing a purse.