Thread: Replacing blazer buttons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Replacing blazer buttons

Are there any do's/don'ts for what kind of buttons should replace the brass buttons on a navy blazer? My local tailor will do it for $2, as long as I provide the buttons.

There are some nice button sets on ebay (especially some light blue mother of pearl sets that look really beautiful), but I don't want to buy a set, have the work done, and then realize it looks awful.

My other navy blazer has black buttons - which are fine, and so discreet that I didn't even remember what color they were until I went to check.

Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    On a blue blazer I would probably opt for horn - anywhere from light to darker brown. You want a little bit of contrast because that’s one of the visual cues that it’s a blazer and not a suit jacket, but still stick to something relatively subdued to maximize the jacket’s versatility. I would hesitate at any kind of bright mother of pearl TBH, unless you are willing to embrace something that deliberately flamboyant.

You could even opt for pewter if you want something that instantly reads “classic navy blazer” without being quite as loud as brass. Generally speaking, though, I think horn or wood in some shade of brown is probably the easiest option.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    You could even opt for pewter if you want something that instantly reads “classic navy blazer” without being quite as loud as brass.
    That's my vote - some kind of metal with a patina - enough contrast to clearly read "blazer", but not jarringly bright like polished brass. There are a lot of options on eBay...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    @skylark you may find some quality buttons at a quality fabric store.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)
    I had the brass buttons replaced on a RL blazer that I have. I went to Michaels, which I dont know if you have those around you, but it was helpful to choosing. They are an arts and crafts store which has quite a large selection of buttons. I brought my blazer with me and matched up a bunch of different sets to see which ones paired with the blazer that I liked the best. Might be helpful if you have some kind of store like that around so you can get an irl view of how they look with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks all - I was wondering if I was overthinking this, so it's good to hear everyone's advice!!
    @Shade I am also in New England so I know Michael's well I will check it out.
    @LesserBlackDog by horn, you are referring to something that has the patina as if it came from an animal's horn? (that's what a quick google search tells me)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    472 Post(s)
    A lot of times when I want new buttons on a blazer, i'll go to the thrift store, and try to find some real good quality sport coat of yesteryear that has a whole lot of miles on it, just to poach the high quliaty bone or MOP buttons on it for my coat. It's nice because you can just take any coat on the rack, they don't even need to fit you if the buttons are all you want :-D

I agree it's hard to judge button color from like ebay or whatever button.com pictures exist on the internet. It's hard to photograph buttons to show how they look and not make them look all crazy.