Thread: I bought a pair of Target Goodfello & Co Shoes So You Don't Have To

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

I bought a pair of Target Goodfello & Co Shoes So You Don't Have To

A couple of weeks back, I was in Target to pick up some odds and ends, and went by the Goodfellows section to see if there was anything to. They'd added these "Desert Chukka Boots, and oh a whim, I tried them on.

I've long been looking for a casual ankle height boot that I liked. I find Clark's too bulbous, and haven't quite been able to make myself pull the trigger on a more expensive, sleeker option from a better maker.

These were priced below the list price by a bit, not sure why, and the fit was EXCELLENT. I measure a 9.5 between a B&C on the brannock, and these, both length and width, are perfect. I figured, what the hell, I'll take a flyer to try out the style and see if I want to trade up.

The Good: The fit. Casual shoes are often too wide for me, and these are great. Dudes with D-E or beyond width feet may not do so well. They're also comfortable as a pair of cheap sneakers. They're easy to wear. The shape is great: sleek, but not pointy. If I can find a similarly shaped, high quality version of this shoe, I'd be very happy indeed. I have a heavy heel strike, and I spend a lot of time driving a manual transmission. My right heel, in particular shows quick wear in a lot of shoes. These are doing fine.

The Bad: Construction, obviously. These are cheap shoes and they're not JCP Stafford level cheap, but more Payless cheap. I'm not someone who automatically thinks a pair of cemented shoes are junk, and, to be fair, after about 10 wears, these show no sign of falling part because of the glued on soles, and the heels are wearing well, but the quality of the man-made "suede" material is pretty damn terrible. Whatever these are made of, it wears poorly, with the finish either wearing down in high stress areas to reveal a blackish material beneath the brown. I thought it might be dirt, but it doesn't brush clean. Water does smudge it some, to make it appear more uniformly "worn," but it doesn't come off. Moreover, walking the dog, I brushed across a stick with my right foot and it left a perfectly straight, almost orange mark on the toe box that can't really be fixed.

These were worth it to me. I confirmed I like the way shoes in this shape wear, and I can search out a better pair for myself, particularly if I can find something in a B or C width. I'll hold on to these to kick around with on the weekends, and to wear as beaters until they give out. I would't pay $45 for these, but if they're down in the $25-$30 range, they might be worth picking up, particularly if you have narrow feet and want to try this style on a (very) tight budget.

Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)
    You may want to give Astorflex a shot. They're sold through Huckberry. I'm wearing a pair of Greenflex chukkas in a color similar to yours. Full price goes for $145, but I got mine for around $90 last Christmas because they were on sale and they offer a first purchase discount.

https://huckberry.com/store/astorfle...dium=affiliate

https://dappered.com/2016/04/win-it-...orflex-chukka/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    thanks for the review.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    You might try rubbing alcohol to get the dirt out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    +1 - I bought a pair of Target chukkas a few years ago (before they were "Goodfellow") and they were a remarkable bang for the buck. They held together well and were *supremely* comfortable. Not sure if they're the same as these, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

I bought a pair of Target Goodfello & Co Shoes So You Don't Have To

Iím starting winter number 2 with a pair of H&M chukkas that look almost identical maybe even a bit more sleek in the toe box. No complaints at all - they were around $70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk