Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does pretty much everything at Gustin get funded?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Does pretty much everything at Gustin get funded?

I've never ordered anything from Gustin, but they had something I was interested in the other day (Black selvedge jeans) so I signed up. I was getting all antsy because they were only like 30% funded with 18 hours left, but now they've extended the deadline at least twice, which is fine by me. Is extending the deadline until an item fills more or less their standard operating procedure?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Seems to be their way of doing business, at least these days. I think I remember them taking down a couple listings in the past but now they just seem to extend the deadline. I backed the 1968 a couple weeks ago and it's still up and they keep not only pushing the date back, but I think they're also messing around with the max number of orders, because the percentage backed has been bouncing around the high 80s since last week. I'd guess it's their attempt to maximize their sales while maintaining the charming crowdfunding mentality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I find their crowdfunding thing gimmicky, but they’re a nice looking pair of jeans at a reasonable price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    It may be gimmicky, but it does make business sense. They'll never make a dud item that they have to blow out at 60% off, and they know exactly how many to make, and they have much better cash flow certainty than they might otherwise have...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Yeah, point taken. And their prices are pretty impressive for MIA jeans. Not so much for some of the other stuff.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    I haven't ordered anything from them in years but it sounds like they must have implemented some changes. Back then there were items that would not end up getting fully funded so they wouldn't get made.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    A couple times I ordered from Gustin I could've sworn that the listing was close but not 100% at deadline and they closed it and called it successfully funded anyway.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Maybe not a dud for them, but possibly a dud for the purchaser. My only experience with crowd funding was a pair of 60/40 nylon cotton swim trunk/shorts hybrids from Taylor Stitch, which were admittedly pretty sweet when I first got them. Then I washed them, as per instructions, and they shrank to the proportions for an 8 year old boy. Unwearable. Not sure what Gustin's return/exchange policy is but I'd make sure I could return anything before agreeing to crowdfund it because for some reason 32" is not always 32".

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    I had a pleasant surprise last week. I backed the Japanese sea green jeans at 94% or so. I expected a 2 month wait but they funded, closed and I got them in 3 days. I see that there are multiple sizes available in the stock shop (at $10 over what I paid), so maybe they are thinking of carrying some stock here and there.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    I backed the 1968 Cone Mills selvedge on 10/21, when it said like, 12 days to go or something. It still says 4 days left to go, yesterday it was 3, etc, etc.
    I don't mind that they keep extending it, as I do want these jeans and would've been a little sad that the campaign didn't go through.