Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Banana Republic, JCrew, Uniqlo and others - bored?

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    864 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    Totally disagree about Style Girlfriend. I find her annoying 99.99999% of the time...

DieWorkWear is an excellent blog! http://dieworkwear.com/
    Ok, now THAT made me seriously laugh. Well played. And yes, DieWorkWear is a great blog. Definitely a daily stop for me as is PutThisOn.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    100% of the time would be most accurate
    Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I seriously questioned GQ's journalistic integrity since I read their glowing review of the tie bar shirts. They also have a lot of endorsement deals that create a conflict of interest.
    Yeah, I've been considering dropping GQ from the rotation. I don't agree with 95% of the outfits they post, and I find their slobbering all over NBA, NFL, etc. to be very VERY annoying. Maybe though, just maybe the odd time there is an outfit that's put together that I like and can do myself for way less. But you bring up a good point. Might be time to remove them from the Instagram rotation.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I find their slobbering all over NBA, NFL, etc. to be very VERY annoying.
    They're paid to do so by those organizations. The more frequently "common media" covers these organizations (which are privately owned businesses, mind you, and in the case of the NFL, tax-exempt) the more it gets drilled into people's brains that they are IMPORTANT and MUST be kept abreast of. Thus, the advertising money they generate goes up...along with profits.

I get it, it's business. But it's about as respectable as McDonald's and their blatantly racist targeted advertising.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    One other note...rather than looking at expanding into the more experimental, you can always go toward higher quality items. If you're bored it may also be a sign that your wardrobe is reasonably complete, and maybe (I know this is controversial) you don't need to buy a lot more clothes. There's no law that mandates buying redundant clothes - just because a guy visits style blogs regularly does not necessarily mean that guy has to keep buying ever more clothing unless that clothing fills a needed hole in the wardrobe and would see regular wear.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    One other note...rather than looking at expanding into the more experimental, you can always go toward higher quality items. If you're bored it may also be a sign that your wardrobe is reasonably complete, and maybe (I know this is controversial) you don't need to buy a lot more clothes. There's no law that mandates buying redundant clothes - just because a guy visits style blogs regularly does not necessarily mean that guy has to keep buying ever more clothing unless that clothing fills a needed hole in the wardrobe and would see regular wear.
    Good point. Someone mentioned concentrating on the depth of your style rather than breath of it.
    Last edited by proteus; November 28th, 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I'm actually in the same boat as the OP. I have ventured out to brands like Billy Reid, Todd Snyder and Taylor Stitch to alleviate that brand boredom. There are others as well that I just know of through some of the people on Instagram. Now, these brands are (usually) more expensive, so I do scour eBay and Grailed to find details on their stuff. I also do some "investigating" with younger, new brands like Thursday Boots and have been giving older brands that seem to be turning it around a bit, like Abercrombie and GAP, a second chance.