Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you wear with Walnut shoes

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    766 Post(s)
    I agree with everyone else on most anything except really dark pants. I will say I usually opt for darker browns with dress shoes so if you have you basics set, walnut is a good addition, otherwise I would opt for a darker pair.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    I bought walnut strands to wear with a light grey suit on my wedding day, and it looked great. They are beautiful shoes, but I'm probably going to sell them because they don't go with anything else in my wardrobe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I bought walnut strands to wear with a light grey suit on my wedding day, and it looked great. They are beautiful shoes, but I'm probably going to sell them because they don't go with anything else in my wardrobe.
    You could grab a pair of grey dress pants?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Whatever I want...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    If you wear them with dark pants such as navy, it will draw a lot of attention to your shoes. This is a trendy modern look.
    This. AE walnut is pretty "bright". If you pair walnut shoes with other light or mid toned colors in warm hues (khaki chinos), they don't stand out quite as much. Even with light grey, they do "pop" a little. If this is your goal, then you can wear them with anything except really dark tones or other strong colors (not sure they would work with burgundy chinos).

I have kind of fallen into a "dark brown" zone with my suits -- plain toe bluchers, or Ralph Lauren Sandersons (long wings made by AE), or tassel loafers; all seem to go with almost anything...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the replies, although part of me was hoping to be talked OUT of getting a pair of walnut shoes . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I'll wear them with white linen pants, light grey pants, and blue (light navy) pants. I've also done dark denim for the contrast but that's apparently a split topic on here.

I'm actually kind of hesitant to wear them with khaki chinos because of the similar colors producing a too-similar-but-not-quite look - maybe that's just me? Anybody have pictures to convince me otherwise?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallica81788 View Post
    I'm actually kind of hesitant to wear them with khaki chinos because of the similar colors producing a too-similar-but-not-quite look - maybe that's just me?
    Me too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have a pair of walnut AE Strands. The general "rule" is to always wear shoes that are darker than the trousers. However, I'd like to echo the votes to pair them with light/mid grey trousers for year-round wear. I do that often. With traditional darker charcoal-colored trousers? Not so much. Spring and summertime is pretty much the only times I'll wear very light "stone" colored chinos, and walnut goes well with those. I would just stay away from tan or "british khaki" colored trousers/chinos, as there's just not enough contrast there.