Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heritage work boots advice

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Check Nordstrom. I got a pair of Wolverines (the Nordstrom exclusive captoe model called the McClean) for just over $200. Full retail was $400.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Check Nordstrom rack as well, sometimes they have the iron rangers in Amber harness and oxblood in 2nd for $160. No coupon is needed for the rack

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I don't have any experience with them, but I've seen people recommend Thorogoods in this price range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Are you wanting to do physical labor in these work boots? If so, honestly, you're better off ditching the whole heritage idea and getting a modern work boot. The difference in support and cushioning is night and day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Are you wanting to do physical labor in these work boots? If so, honestly, you're better off ditching the whole heritage idea and getting a modern work boot. The difference in support and cushioning is night and day.
    Agree with this.

I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile rough out boots that I got from Nordstrom Rack for <$200. They are great heritage boots. The soles are thin though, and they have no cushion or padding (Goodyear welt cork doesn't really count).

They are good beaters for occasional dirty jobs, but if I were on my feet for a living I would ditch the heritage approach and go modern...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)
    What I wear right now has very little cushioning or support.

Thanks for the suggestions, I would be interested in what makes the differences between these boots. What is the difference between oil tanned leather and Cxl, for example?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Thorogood wedge soles that I wear as work boots. They're pretty good, quality control isn't great. The right boot fits a little funky, but I was able to fix it with a thicker insole. They are significantly more comfortable for standing all day than the previous pair of non-fancy Wolverine work boots I had.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Not to mention that on most work sites the boots have to have steel toes and be ASTM or otherwise certified as having the appropriate safety features, such as resistance to electric currents, non-slip soles, etc. Most heritage boots do not have those required features. Thorogood does make a moc toe wedge sole boot with all of those features - about as close as you can come to an actual heritage boot that qualifies for most work sites.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Take a look at Red Wing’s non-heritage line if you’re looking for quality work boots. I wore their model 4473 when I was in the Navy and they kept my feet safe through three years of shipyard work. I had them resolved once during the six years I wore them, and they would have lasted longer if I actually rotated them instead of wearing them every day on steel plate and nonskid. The leather gave out at a welt seam due to a lack of care.

- Vic

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Not to mention that on most work sites the boots have to have steel toes and be ASTM or otherwise certified as having the appropriate safety features, such as resistance to electric currents, non-slip soles, etc. Most heritage boots do not have those required features. Thorogood does make a moc toe wedge sole boot with all of those features - about as close as you can come to an actual heritage boot that qualifies for most work sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Take a look at Red Wing’s non-heritage line if you’re looking for quality work boots. I wore their model 4473 when I was in the Navy and they kept my feet safe through three years of shipyard work. I had them resolved once during the six years I wore them, and they would have lasted longer if I actually rotated them instead of wearing them every day on steel plate and nonskid. The leather gave out at a welt seam due to a lack of care.

- Vic
    I work inside, in a work shop, more like a warehouse. Right now I just wear some cheap suede boots and those are fine. I just want something higher quality.

I was thinking about the AE Freiburg, or something that looks like that.