Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colin Kaepernick Is GQ's 2017 Citizen of the Year (and cover!)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    Kaepernick's donations of suits, time, and money to 100 suits for 100 men are pretty cool, imo.

http://time.com/4764467/colin-kaeper...on-job-search/

That charity seems unique due to a volunteer helping fit men's clothing as part of the experience.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    762 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Kaepernick's donations of suits, time, and money to 100 suits for 100 men are pretty cool, imo.

http://time.com/4764467/colin-kaeper...on-job-search/

That charity seems unique due to a volunteer helping fit men's clothing as part of the experience.

Finally! Something of substance before this was moved to Off-Topic. I applaud this effort, and any like it, to help people dress the part for job interviews. I have personally been in situations where people judge you based on your look before you even open your mouth. It is hard to change someones opinion after that but sometimes you can.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Finally! Something of substance before this was moved to Off-Topic. I applaud this effort, and any like it, to help people dress the part for job interviews. I have personally been in situations where people judge you based on your look before you even open your mouth. It is hard to change someones opinion after that but sometimes you can.
    With full courtesy: I disagree that this should be in Off-Topic; what GQ does with its cover is necessarily men's style-related (as are PutThisOn's posts), and the cover photo of Kaepernick is a fascinating cultural study in how fashion can evoke a time and place in history (both the cover photo and some of the interior photos were intended to draw a line from Kaep to Muhammad Ali).

Of course I didn't elucidate that in my original post. Happy to have done so now. Equally happy that @ianr brought up (one of) my favorite of Kaep's initiatives.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    100 Suits 100 Men had an article done on them in the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/n...r-100-men.html

This charity is interesting to me as it gets straight to the point. Men get out of jail and try to get a job, but they don't have any clothes that fit. It's not like these men don't know how to apply for a job, they just don't know anything about a necktie. Sometimes solving the small problems goes so far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention, @Hierophant. This is an important award, and I'm glad to see that GQ is following Teen Vogue's (perhaps now defunct) stance of rejecting the claim that "style is just about style," "sport is just about sports," and the like.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Fistbump @srlclark.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    This is a charade. Every NFL player I've ever seen do an interview is dressed sharp and would be on equal footing for a GQ feature. This is a political move by GQ, plain and simple. I personally agree that he has a right to kneel, stand, sit, do backflips, or whatever else he wants during the anthem. However, this has nothing to do with men's style and everything to do with GQ playing toward a particular sector of the public. This has nothing to do with the substance of this website, nor does the posting of it here in Threads do anything to further our discussion and mutual interest in affordable men's style. Political posts don't have a place here due to the friction they breed.

fin

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    This is a charade. Every NFL player I've ever seen do an interview is dressed sharp and would be on equal footing for a GQ feature. This is a political move by GQ, plain and simple. I personally agree that he has a right to kneel, stand, sit, do backflips, or whatever else he wants during the anthem. However, this has nothing to do with men's style and everything to do with GQ playing toward a particular sector of the public. This has nothing to do with the substance of this website, nor does the posting of it here in Threads do anything to further our discussion and mutual interest in affordable men's style. Political posts don't have a place here due to the friction they breed.

fin
    Fashion and style are inherently political; fashion and style magazines inherently engage politics; dismissing politics as not relevant to the "substance" of fashion is fabulism; shying away from politics because it "breeds friction" contributes to oppression.

fin.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    Fashion and style are inherently political; fashion and style magazines inherently engage politics; dismissing politics as not relevant to the "substance" of fashion is fabulism; shying away from politics because it "breeds friction" contributes to oppression.

fin.
    Interesting how Joe manages to keep this site completely politically neutral (with the possible exception of some snark in the Weekend Dossier, though Joe doesn't write those, and they have little do to with style). I agree that political issues need discussion, but this isn't the place.

fin fin. :-D

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post

fin.
    As for fashion and style, Kaepernick definitely does not stand out. He's not a fashion icon by any measure.

With regard to his citizen activities I think if he could he would have approached it a bit differently looking back. All he did was made a lot people mad. The message got totally lost in all the noise and mass kneeling for no specific reason. I have not seen any progress made in terms of alleged police brutality against African Americans. There has been no real debate (which would only prove there is no grounds to his allegations). The society as a whole is much more open and accepting to various races, ethnicities, etc. that it was, say, 20 years ago. Kaepernick's charitable activities are commendable but again nothing that other celebrities do not do.

Bottom line, it's just GQ's attempt to get on the bus.