Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colin Kaepernick Is GQ's 2017 Citizen of the Year (and cover!)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

Colin Kaepernick Is GQ's 2017 Citizen of the Year (and cover!)

https://www.gq.com/story/colin-kaepe...en-of-the-year

This is the best thing I've seen in exactly 57 weeks.

Wonderful to see the men's style community step up. (PutThisOn also ran a couple of posts recently -- those are just the two most recent -- on the subject of being a decent human being and opposing oppressors.)

Good job folks. Keep it up.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quoted
    414 Post(s)
    As much as I support Colin's stance and despise the NFL and politicians for vilifying him, most of those awards handed out by the likes of GQ and ESPN are meaningless. They are more fluff and usually meant to be click bait. If Time magazine were to give him Man of the Year, that would be a different story.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    As much as I support Colin's stance and despise the NFL and politicians for vilifying him, most of those awards handed out by the likes of GQ and ESPN are meaningless. They are more fluff and usually meant to be click bait. If Time magazine were to give him Man of the Year, that would be a different story.
    Agreed. I could care less about their agenda -- I watch football for the sport, not the uninformed commentary on domestic and international politics -- but an award like this from GQ is meaningless click bait to raise revenue through the website. I saw the headline yesterday and rather than clicking on it, I marked it as "not interested in stories from GQ."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    If you're saying that this award (and cover story) have no hard impacts, of course you're correct -- this isn't a MacArthur grant.

If you're saying this award (and cover story) have no soft or cultural impacts, you're wrong. GQ is nearly a hundred years old, has a total circulation of roughly 1 million, the majority of whom had relatively high incomes; they're one of the only old glossies left that covers men's style; and their cover stories -- including this one -- were covered by serious media outlets, including the Washington Post.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Agreed. I could care less about their agenda -- I watch football for the sport, not the uninformed commentary on domestic and international politics -- but an award like this from GQ is meaningless click bait to raise revenue through the website. I saw the headline yesterday and rather than clicking on it, I marked it as "not interested in stories from GQ."
    It takes a pretty heavy scoop of privilege to be able to dismiss a national conversation about how national organizations and white men in power treat black men and black bodies as "uninformed commentary."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    It takes a pretty heavy scoop of privilege to be able to dismiss a national conversation about how national organizations and white men in power treat black men and black bodies as "uninformed commentary."
    Actually, it's pretty easy to dismiss without injecting nonsense "privilege" arguments. Just try it. When I watch sports, I could not care less about the athletes' opinions on anything unrelated to the game. Just like when I watch a movie, I could not care less about the actors'/actresses' opinions on anything unrelated to the movie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Actually, it's pretty easy to dismiss without injecting nonsense "privilege" arguments. Just try it. When I watch sports, I could not care less about the athletes' opinions on anything unrelated to the game. Just like when I watch a movie, I could not care less about the actors'/actresses' opinions on anything unrelated to the movie.
    You're making his point for him.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    It's interesting how some people claim they could not care less about CK and this movement, but have to jump up and point out what they see as problems when it gets publicity.

"Look, I don't really care about it, but if anyone talks about it I'm going to get my words in and cast a bit of shade."

Dang.
    Last edited by JT10000; November 14th, 2017 at 10:28 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Quoted
    758 Post(s)
    I just want to applaud the correct usage of "could not care less" versus the often misused "could care less". Bravo gentlemen.