Thread: Spier and Mackay peacoat

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)

Spier and Mackay peacoat

Has anyone purchased one of Spier and Mackay’s peacoats? They look like they’re nicely made and styled (I don’t like the really short or boxy peacoats most brands sell). I have been considering ordering a peacoat from SuitSupply but Spier and Mackay’s seems similar in style but significantly lower price, so now I’m debating who’s coat I should try. I donated my boxy Calvin Klein peacoat last year and I’d like to replace it with something more tailored.

Anyway, I’m interested in hearing if anyone has experience with this peacoat. How’s it fit, how’s it made, how warm is it, etc.?

https://www.spierandmackay.com/pea-coat-navy.html

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    246 Post(s)
    I have one and love it. We got our first taste of cold this weekend so I had a chance to see how warm it is. I would say it’s fairly similar to the unlined Jcrew peacoats as far as warmth. With a lambs wool sweater underneath it was a little warmer than my old thinsulate lined one.

As far as construction goes this thing is quite a step up from others in its price range.

The fit is fairly tailored with a bit of consideration made for any layering you are sure to do in the cold. I’d say the size chart is accurate and S&M’s advice to stick to your normal jacket/suit size is good. Normally you wouldn’t wear a sport coat underneath but if you plan to the advice is to size up on their outerwear.

Long story short. These coats are fantastic for the money and should serve you fine in most winter climates, emphasis on most. If it regularly drops below 0 or your area has some crazy windchill you might find yourself wanting just a bit more coat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    Thanks @Rawfull. This is helpful. I might give this one a try instead of SuitSupply. The price is certainly more attractive and it looks quite nice.

I also just noticed that it has a relief pleat (not sure of the correct term here) in the middle of the back which is pretty awesome since that is where I have the most trouble with fit. I normally size for shoulders which makes the chest snug (but usually acceptable), but whether it’s too tight across the back is a crapshoot. This looks promising.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Thanks @Rawfull. This is helpful. I might give this one a try instead of SuitSupply. The price is certainly more attractive and it looks quite nice.

I also just noticed that it has a relief pleat (not sure of the correct term here) in the middle of the back which is pretty awesome since that is where I have the most trouble with fit. I normally size for shoulders which makes the chest snug (but usually acceptable), but whether it’s too tight across the back is a crapshoot. This looks promising.
    The fabric is quite thick. If you plan on wearing with a thick sweater or over a sportcoat/suit, it's suggested to size up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    246 Post(s)
    I’m very impressed with the jacket for the money. I was really excited when they ran the Duffle coat sale this weekend and jumped in. Sadly I had to cancel the order yesterday to free up funds for some unexpected transmission work for my car.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    Thanks, @SpierMackay. No plans to layer over anything thick. I generally buy coats to fit over a shirt and maybe a thin sweater. I live in Seattle and rarely need a coat over anything else warm.

@Rawfull, unplanned car work stinks. Hope it’s not too major.