Thread: AE Dalton Break In

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

AE Dalton Break In

I recently got a pair of the Daltons in walnut, and while I love these boots and they fit great, they are LOUD. The leather creaks with every step, mainly the sections where the laces are. It reminds me of George Costanza's suit that would *swish* every time he walked. I've resorted to keeping the laces loose and wearing thicker socks which helps the creaking a bit, but my foot still slides around and I get blisters.

AE doesn't offer the shoe cream in walnut and instead recommends just using the polish. I'm about to try that, but has anyone else had this creaking issue?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    762 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axegrynder View Post
    I recently got a pair of the Daltons in walnut, and while I love these boots and they fit great, they are LOUD. The leather creaks with every step, mainly the sections where the laces are. It reminds me of George Costanza's suit that would *swish* every time he walked. I've resorted to keeping the laces loose and wearing thicker socks which helps the creaking a bit, but my foot still slides around and I get blisters.

AE doesn't offer the shoe cream in walnut and instead recommends just using the polish. I'm about to try that, but has anyone else had this creaking issue?
    I put some baby powder around the tongue area after I polish the shoes around the tongue. It stops the creaking leather sound which is common. Also they offer shoe cream in walnut: http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/sh...or=572#start=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I put some baby powder around the tongue area after I polish the shoes around the tongue. It stops the creaking leather sound which is common. Also they offer shoe cream in walnut: http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/sh...or=572#start=1
    What is the process for putting on baby powder?

That's the polish that I have, they just don't have the moisturizing cream in walnut.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    762 Post(s)

That's the polish that I have, they just don't have the moisturizing cream in walnut.
    I think leather conditioner is just neutral. I know mine is just a white color that goes on clear. As for baby powder, I sprinkle some on the area then brush it around with my hand then dust it off with a rag. I don't know why it works but I do it every time. I only polish the tongue maybe once or twice a year. I will apply neutral polish or cream to the areas that get scuffed a little more often.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)

Keep in mind the cream polish is a mix of shoe cream and the hard polish, so it's not as if all it would do is polish the leather.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I would suggest using some saphir renovateur. My daltons never had squeaking problem but it did happen with pair of st john's double monks I bought from AE and it went away after I did a few applications of the renovateur.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Just wear them around a couple times - maybe at night if it's too bothersome at a quiet office - and the squeak will go away soon enough. As long as it's just the sound of new leather rubbing against itself, it won't last long in my experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Put a bit of Saddle soap on the leather surfaces that rub against one another. The squeak will immediately go away and never return. This has worked 100% of the time for me. I use the AE saddle soap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    This is most likely coming from the leather uppers rubbing on the tongue. AE usually suggests applying their leather lotion to this area.
    With more wear, the sound will go away. Maybe you could wear them for a few long walks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Mine did this for a while as well, and even after using leather lotion and shoe cream, it still took about 10-15 wears before it was noticeably quieter. However given the leather soles, I also wasn't going hiking in these or putting them through miles of use during those wears, so hopefully it will take less for you.

Quick warning about the Walnut shoe cream; do not use it anywhere near the toe of the shoe, as the toe has darker burnishing and the Walnut cream will add some weird discolorations to that area. I am still trying to undo the walnut cream with simple brown polish every-time I polish my Dalton's.