Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When you wear a cardigan people say...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    Here are some examples that show how a person's build can make or break the cardigan look.

The first 2 are fine knits, and the last 2 are chunky shawls worn with flat caps (another old man association). None of the guys are old, but notice how the guys with less than ideal bodies give off old men vibes.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/52/c2/d0/5...tylish-man.jpg

vs.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/27/56/87/2...-guy-style.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ee/2d/e7/e...an-pattern.jpg

vs.

https://cdn.lookastic.com/looks/shaw...large-6041.jpg
    I...seriously can't tell the difference between those pictures, no clue which people have a good build compared to who doesn't. Side not, cable cardigans seem old man to me, you want minimal/even to no texture. Also brown will always be an old man color to me (except for shoes).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)
    As an old man, the "old man vibe" doesn't bother me. As someone with a "less than ideal body". that doesn't bother me too much either but a thick chunky cardigan will not expose the belly flaws nearly as much as the thin ones. I wear the thin ones as layering under a jacket because of that. I personally can't tell wtf julius12 means about those 4 pictures as the only one who remotely looks like he has a belly is the first one and that IMO is just the angle he is twisted into and the angle of the camera combining to make it so. Picture #2 and picture #4 I would guess are supposed to be the "ideal body" guys but IMO they're just wearing their sweaters way too tight. It shouldn't pull apart like that. It looks like they had to stretch them just to get the middle buttons buttoned.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Own two cardigans, one button one zip up. Personally I love them and want to pick up more. I get the Mr Rogers stuff from some friends, but mostly compliments. Cardigans rock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    As an old man, the "old man vibe" doesn't bother me. As someone with a "less than ideal body". that doesn't bother me too much either but a thick chunky cardigan will not expose the belly flaws nearly as much as the thin ones. I wear the thin ones as layering under a jacket because of that. I personally can't tell wtf julius12 means about those 4 pictures as the only one who remotely looks like he has a belly is the first one and that IMO is just the angle he is twisted into and the angle of the camera combining to make it so. Picture #2 and picture #4 I would guess are supposed to be the "ideal body" guys but IMO they're just wearing their sweaters way too tight. It shouldn't pull apart like that. It looks like they had to stretch them just to get the middle buttons buttoned.
    Plus one on the "old man vibe." Plus one on the "less than ideal body."

I'll find out the answer to the question tonight, when I wear a cardigan out for dinner. Chances are I will get compliments from my significant other, and will be better dressed than a good percentage of people at the restaurant. It is all about highlighting what you want to highlight, and camouflaging any deficits. My salt and pepper hair and beard definitely falls in the first category, so my burgundy shawl neck cardigan will be a great contrast. Fun fact: plenty of people respond favorably to people who have outward signs of age, act youthful, and yet dress age appropriately.

Maybe someone will compare me to Mr. Rogers. Being compared to an icon is kinda great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    824 Post(s)
    Old man vibe can also be defined as classic when its coming from a younger person that doesn't know the difference. Ultimately, I like them so I wear them. But I am 40 with a full head of mostly grey hair. Old man vibe is something I had to embrace a long time ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Iím not sure you can avoid Mr Rogers comparisons by getting in shape - itís not like Rogers carried an extra ounce on his frame at any point in his life. He didnít wear them poorly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I wore a cardigan to school one day and promptly got the Mr. Rodgers comparison. So, I stopped wearing them and began wearing more blazers to school instead. Nobody bothers me about the blazers, even though I'm waaaaayyyy more dressed up than anyone else. My wife loves the cardigans and encourages me to wear them. So I do wear them around the house, when out with her or to run errands. I only wear the chunky shawl collar type. I can't seem to pull off the thinner type...yet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    "Can you help me find reference information about the underlying causes leading to the dismantling of the Tsarist autocracy in Russia?"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)
    I don't know why the comparison to Mr. Rodgers discourages you from wearing it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

When you wear a cardigan people say...

Even when I was out of shape, a big cardigan from Target was my most complimented garment. As others have said, mostly by women. The occasional Mr Rodgers comment is just part of the regular stuff you get for dressing well. No big deal.

I just pulled the trigger on the JCrew Nordic dot shawl collar at half price online. The store didnít have one so I hope that itís true to size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk