Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When you wear a cardigan people say...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

When you wear a cardigan people say...

To me that I look like Me Rogers, an American treasure no doubt, or someone's grandpa. At 37, I'm neither.

Do people compliment them or ride you a little?

Full disclosure:
    I give out a fair amount of good natured ribbing. I also happen to work in a school that is less casual than a Walmart.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)
    Same. Mr. Rodgers. I think it’s one of the harder items to pull off. I usually have one in the office when it’s cold or under a jacket to minimize it being a focal point. I’m 33

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    515 Post(s)
    I wear enough wierd stuff that a cardigan is the least of anyone worries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I'm 36 and love cardigans. I'll get a little bit of jokes, but screw it. I love em. I don't have a ton of cardigans because I view these as my luxury items in that I want them to last for essentially ever, so I'm willing to spend a bit of money on them. I like the kind of chunky shawls one a lot. I had bought one from Bonobos a couple of years ago - was not cheap, but that thing did not hold up as I'd like it have given the cost. I still wear it but caused me to sour on Bonobos a bit.

Last year, I bought a one from Polo Ralph Lauren. Grey shawl one. It was originally over $400, but I waited to late in the season (maybe late Jan), and ended up getting it for more than 50% off. Still a lot of money, but I think they are timeless, and I hope the quality allows it to last a long time. My one gripe is that I wish it was more of trimmer cut than it is. They also had a cool plaid one that started north of $500, but it never got down to a price where I could justify it.

I've already started trying to find some this year that I can jump on late in the season at a substantial discount.

Long live cardigans.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    I'm 29, wear cardigans all the time. Receive untold amounts of what I would describe as good-natured ribbing in my workplace filled with military, law enforcement, and spook-types. Then again, I receive good-natured ribbing on much of what I wear, but cardigans probably receive the most. One coworker started calling me "Lord Cardigan," which I appreciated... Also receive comments about how cozy I look, which is too true.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    It's unfortunate that it somehow got associated with old people, but it is what it is and the trick to pulling it off is to have an athletic build. You don't necessarily have to be ripped, just have well-built shoulders and a chest to fill it out.

Also, this is an obvious answer but simply avoid wearing it the way it is portrayed being worn by old people in tv and films, which means avoid loose, chunky shawl cardigans in faded grays and browns.

I'll be 40 in a few years, and I have a chunky black shawl cardigan and two fine-knit merinos in charcoal and dark brown as part of my staples. I also have fine-knits in burgundy, navy, and light gray that I'm planning to wear out as I'm aiming for a more minimal wardrobe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I have a couple - one is a burly shawl collar one for the deep winter fireside and the others are lighter weight spring - early fall ones that are cotton or cotton linen blends. I usually wear the lighter weight ones over a t-shirt with jeans or chinos or shorts, and don't get many Mr. Rogers jokes, probably because I'm too dressed down. The burly one I mostly just wear at home. I've embraced the shirt-jacket/shacket as a cardigan substitute. Same convenience of a cardigan in that you don't have to pull it on and off over the head but a little more rugged. I don't get any Mr. Rogers jokes with those but depending on the shacket you might get some Paul Bunyan ones, so they add a little variety to the ribbing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I avoid thin cardigans. Every time I try one on and look in the mirror, I think Mr. Rodgers. I have one chunky cotton Polo cardigan that my wife loves. Worn with jeans it comes off as comfy masculine, if there is such a thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    I'm 40, and I'm wearing a cardigan today. A thick cotton job with a shawl collar. Walked my daughter to school, and back. Ran a few errands at lunch. Nobody said a word. Think about that...
    “Good luck. We're all counting on you.”
    ― Dr. Rumack

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    the trick to pulling it off is to have an athletic build. You don't necessarily have to be ripped, just have well-built shoulders and a chest to fill it out.
    Very much this. I wear cardigans often, almost always shawl cardigans, and the more i cut down and work out, the less old Asian man I look (I'm only 31) when wearing them. Helps a lot to have decent traps.