Thread: Minnesota Jacket

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Minnesota Jacket

After five years in the Bay Area I'm moving to Minnesota in January. What are people's thoughts on a winter coat or two? After college and law school on the east coast I've got a full length wool overcoat and a North Face 3-in-1 jacket, both 8-10 years old, and I've spent holidays in the region. So I won't die when I arrive, but I think its time for an update.

My main question is about what professionals would wear. My work uniform is wool pants and a blazer/sport coat.

And in addition, perhaps suggestions for weekends and other times when I won't be wearing a sport coat?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I live in the Twin Cities, and I have two topcoats for work and then a j crew winter coat (2 in 1). I wear the topcoat over a blazer a good amount of the time.

Between those three coats, I stay more than warm enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I live in the Duluth area, and agree with what Bologna said, with one caveat. He and I are probably acclimated to the winters here, so you may need to add layers. A great wool scarf can look professional with your topcoat.

For a casual weekend look, North Face is everywhere here. Your current 3-in-1 might work for you while you scope out something that fits your lifestyle. I have a couple of puffer jackets that work for me even during the coldest days, and if it is colder, I layer in a tech-thermal type hoodie that fits the bill. Again, it is easier to dress for winter cold than summer heat, because you can always add layers, but there is a limit how much you can subtract on a warm summer day.