Thread: Brandslock leather jacket experiences?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

Brandslock leather jacket experiences?

Looking for a causal winter jacket, and given my area's weather -- a lot of rain, only a few weeks at or below freezing -- was thinking of getting a leather piece.

My last leather jacket, which wore out a few years back, was a fairly baggy bomber. Plan this time is a slimmer fitting moto style with the short round collar.

Prefer something longer in the body (5'10”/178 cm but with a long waist) that tapers well (37” chest, 29" waist), sleek with minimal adornment, and as an absolute requirement waist pockets without zippers.

Came across this Brandslock jacket which seems to fit the bill. Anyone able to comment on the quality? I notice a lot of compliments on the leather, but nothing about the lining for instance.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MR...ID=81BeDvh8pvL
    http://brandslock.com/men/44-men-s-b...et-asasin.html

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Looking for a causal winter jacket, and given my area's weather -- a lot of rain, only a few weeks at or below freezing -- was thinking of getting a leather piece.

My last leather jacket, which wore out a few years back, was a fairly baggy bomber. Plan this time is a slimmer fitting moto style with the short round collar.

Prefer something longer in the body (5'10”/178 cm but with a long waist) that tapers well (37” chest, 29" waist), sleek with minimal adornment, and as an absolute requirement waist pockets without zippers.

Came across this Brandslock jacket which seems to fit the bill. Anyone able to comment on the quality? I notice a lot of compliments on the leather, but nothing about the lining for instance.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MR...ID=81BeDvh8pvL
    http://brandslock.com/men/44-men-s-b...et-asasin.html
    Based on the price, the lining is probably poly, and I can't imagine the leather is all that great either. Might be worth taking a shot on it to see if it fits well, but a leather jacket that's less than $200 I'm not expecting great quality or for it to last.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    428 Post(s)
    That doesn’t look long in the body at all. It looks distinctly above the hips.

I would seriously doubt the quality of a leather jacket that costs less than $200. If you like the look and don’t mind replacing it in a couple of years, it might be a good deal. If you want a jacket to last you decades, this is probably not the one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    139 Post(s)
    I don't have any experience with that brand, but based on the way the leather creases in the pictures, it looks fairly thin. I would be highly suspect about the quality of a leather jacket at this price point.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Good quality leather shoes = at least $200 new

A jacket that uses far more leather at that price? Not going to be good.

A good leather jacket is in investment. I bought a VERY heavy leather peacoat nearly 20 years ago. I've lost weight, and it no longer fits me, but my brother in law still wears that jacket with very minimal upkeep--just feeding the leather every few years with conditioner. Good leather will last a long time. Cheap leather not so much.
    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Bugger - bonded lambskin.

Thin leather I could accept, given lambskin is the standard choice for fashion leather garments, if it comes with a decent looking. I'd rather have calfskin or sheepskin, but since this would basically be meant to be a rain- and windproof jacket I don't need it to last the 15 years my last one did. Bonded though...

The other annoyance is price isn't much of a guide.

Nordstrom has a Cole Haan for US$600, described as genuine leather. I email to ask for specifics and get "This type of leather is Pieced together, so that would be bonded lambskin leather.”

Amazingly difficult to find a design I like, even when pushing the budget close to five figures (Cdn). Zippered front pockets are a special annoyance since my hands usually aren't cold enough to wear gloves, but are cold enough to scrape themselves on the teeth and dislike the feel of cold metal on the wrist when walking with hands in pockets.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Bugger - bonded lambskin.

Thin leather I could accept, given lambskin is the standard choice for fashion leather garments, if it comes with a decent looking. I'd rather have calfskin or sheepskin, but since this would basically be meant to be a rain- and windproof jacket I don't need it to last the 15 years my last one did. Bonded though...

The other annoyance is price isn't much of a guide.

Nordstrom has a Cole Haan for US$600, described as genuine leather. I email to ask for specifics and get "This type of leather is Pieced together, so that would be bonded lambskin leather.”

Amazingly difficult to find a design I like, even when pushing the budget close to five figures (Cdn). Zippered front pockets are a special annoyance since my hands usually aren't cold enough to wear gloves, but are cold enough to scrape themselves on the teeth and dislike the feel of cold metal on the wrist when walking with hands in pockets.
    I think the price isn't much of a guide in much of fashion. When you buy something from a designer you are paying partly for the name, and partly for the design. Often then quality suffers. Not only that, price is often used to convince people it is high quality.

With leather especially, I would stick with companies that specialize in it. They know leather and have the contacts to good tanners.

As far as the zipper goes, it might be possible to remove them? I would seek out a leather tailor and ask before you buy anything.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    472 Post(s)
    I'm maybe a bit of a leather snob, but this jacket really is a very very poor quality sort of make.

It's not even just the thin leather that strikes me as being undesirable, as it is the poor quality of the leather.

I figure with leather you go big go home.

for $170 you could probably buy a very cool vintage jacket

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    I'm maybe a bit of a leather snob, but this jacket really is a very very poor quality sort of make.

It's not even just the thin leather that strikes me as being undesirable, as it is the poor quality of the leather.

I figure with leather you go big go home.

for $170 you could probably buy a very cool vintage jacket
    agreed. It should cost at least $300 worth of decent leather to make a jacket. And that's just the materials.
    And you probably won't find anything decent at a good will level of thrifting. You're going to have to look in higher end "fancy" vintage shops. Double check the brand in store on your phone

I'd think a rough ratio of vintage pricing would be like spending
    $50+ for an originally $300 jacket
    all the way up to
    $300+ for an originally $1000 jacket

Not in any way a hard rule but just some pricing I've seen that makes sense for material/work put into the jackets.