Thread: Buying jeans: First fit vs. routine fit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Buying jeans: First fit vs. routine fit

How do you convince yourselves to pull the trigger on jeans that fit so tightly at first? I used to wear a 38 waist when I carried concealed a lot more often. Then I went to a 36, which fits my waist halfway decent at first. I can put both hands all the way in my wasitband when 36 stretches out after normal wear. The first pair of 34s i bought a while fit pretty well in the waist now, but fit tight there at first and fit SUPER tight through the entire leg before stretching out. I mean, I could barely get an Iphone in my pocket. I can barely convince myself to buy $40 jeans that way, how do you guys drop money on expensive jeans when you're just guessing how they will fit after 10 wears?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    743 Post(s)
    There are a lot of fans of stretch fit jeans on Dappered. Instead of just getting stretched out like you described, they spring back. I have worn Levi's 501s for the past 6 years and while I have a similar experience to your waist comment, the knee area also stretches out so they can look a little off.

I have recently tried some stretch chinos and really like that they move with your body. I may try some stretch jeans in a couple of years after my current rotation wears out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)
    Simple: I don’t buy jeans that fit that way. I buy jeans that fit the way I want when they’re new. Maybe just a touch tight if they’re 100% cotton. I wash my jeans pretty regularly and they typically shrink back to original size after drying. My “tight” jeans stretch out to where I want them after an hour or two. Not 10 wears. The rest of my jeans are comfortable when I put them on after a wash. I can’t imagine buying down 2 inches in the waist and waiting for them to stretch out. That’s not worth the discomfort. I’ll just wear a belt.

But then, I also don’t own any selvedge jeans any more. I sold my last pair. I don’t care to spend a bunch of extra money on a red stripe inside my pants seam. When I spend extra on pants, it’s for something like Bonobos linen blend jet setter pants, because they’re absurdly comfortable and still look nice.
    Last edited by dpark; October 10th, 2017 at 11:23 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    The jeans having a little stretch helps. I have a few pairs of Levis 541 (athletic fit, with some stretch). They fit a little tight initially, but with the stretch aren't uncomfortable. After a while though, they do stretch out generally, like all other denim and require a washing to shrink them up again.

I also have a pair of Unbranded Brand jeans that have no stretch. They are a different animal... First fit is snug. After a wash, they are really rather uncomfortable and take a day or two to relax to a more comfortable fit. I've gotten into the habit of putting them on while damp to stretch them back out a little faster.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    That's what I mean. All denim isn't the same so its not going to stretch the same, and you just kind of guess. I guess it just sucks that the waist and the legs won't sync up for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    For non raw denim, there is somewhat of a predictable stretch that will return to near baseline post wash. I try to get something slightly uncomfortable in the waist and not skin tight in the thighs.

Most times I wear my jeans they are not just washed, so I don’t go by the fit off the shelf.

For raw denim, it is a whole different story. Requires a fair amount of research to figure out shrinkage during wash. I typically get these comfortable/loose everywhere pre wash.

All the above assumes no stretch denim.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    For raw denim, it is a whole different story. Requires a fair amount of research to figure out shrinkage during wash. I typically get these comfortable/loose everywhere pre wash.
    Be careful not to assume that everything labeled "raw" will drastically shrink in the wash. Most denim labeled "raw" is Sanforized, and won't shrink more than a typical pair of Levis. Look for denim labeled "loom state" or "shrink to fit" if that's what you want.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    The shrink in the wash business is super tricky and I avoid it. I have one pair of made in the USA shrink to fit 501s which did shrink insanely but they also lost their best feature: the mid/high rise. I much prefer washed denim. I love my LVC1954 one wash. The reason for all this hasn’t been the fabric or construction quality but really the fit. I wanted higher rise denim and that is difficult to find for a 36 waist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I buy mine to fit snug around the waist. I don't like them overly tight in the thighs and calves. They do stretch around the waist, but that's what belts are for. The only time I ever wear them with a shirt tucked is if I am also wearing a jacket, so any bunching around the waist doesn't show. Since I don't like them tight through the leg, they don't noticeably stretch in those areas.