Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your most complimented outfit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    This is going to sound ridiculous but my Jos. A. Bank navy blazer constantly gets me the most complements when I'm out and about for work, coupled with LE year-rounders.

This, in comparison to my S&M suits.... oy vey.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I have a true blue S&M suit that seems to elicit a disproportionate share of compliments when I wear it. And I am in a suit or other jacket/tie outfit at least 3-4 days out of the week so it's not just the fact that it happens to be a suit.
    My S&M suit is black, leather, and assless. Oops, wrong S&M.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Great thread....

I tend to get compliments when I wear:

BR Olive Linen Jacket

Purple/ White Gingham Dress Shirt with a dark blue knit tie

Dark Blue Slacks

Walnut McAllisters

Kinda like to wear on Fridays. Take off the tie and hit a happy hour.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Sportcoats garner the most compliments as a whole, and my summer suiting (linen, navy seersucker, etc.) also gets a nod as well. These stand out because they have more personality (whether from color, pattern, texture, etc.) than your typical/traditional worsted suits, etc. that a lot of people wear in NYC and which people bend for use in other situations like nice cocktails or wedding-related events.
    This is a good point. Not many people (if any?) in my office environment wear linen suits. In fact when I'm walking dtown I don't see any. So as you point out, it's a look atstands out and has more personality than the regular suits out there. That might explain the comments/compliments.

Of note I get more compliments when wearing a SuSu suit than any other suiting. My other suits include, by way of comparison, BOSS, JC, and BR. And considering my office is about to go office casual M-F, my days of buying and wearing suits look like they might be on the decline.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    Did you get to see that really nice Burgundy fabric they had on display?
    Guess not, was it for one of the most recent releases or something?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    I thinks so. Pretty sure it's the plum one on their site. Really nice in person.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    A few weeks ago I wore a purple gingham RL button down, RL navy linen pants, and walnut Mcallisters to Sunday funday. Probably the most compliments I've gotten at once.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Yeah it wasn't out yet that I recall. I may have still been a tiiiiiny bit afflicted from all the wine and cocktails at the party though (wasn't driving).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Before I answer this, I think some background info is pertinent. I live in a very casual and rugged city and work in a casual retail environment. It's no coincidence that Duluth Trading Co. and Duluth Pack reflect the city and people who live here. My workday style is built around the two colors of my employer. This is limiting, though recently we've been given latitude when it comes to incorporating plaids, etc. Suits, sports coats and ties are not a major part of my wardrobe.

So, limited by color, I show my style by wearing unique shirts as layering pieces, especially in the fall and winter. My two favorite resources for these are Hammer Made, a shirt retailer based in the Twin Cities area, and JC-RT plaids. The shirts I get from these retailers are limited, which means I don't see others wearing the same shirts. The details, like the hand cut tailoring of JC-RT, are not always seen, but just knowing they are there, gives me confidence.

By far the two shirts that have gotten the most compliments are the "Birds of a Feather" shirt from Hammer Made, and the "Out of the Blue" shirt from JC-RT. I'm not afraid of color, and both shirts show that. Birds of a Feather has a small colorful feather print on a white background. Layered, you only see a hint of the pattern on the collar and cuffs, but that has been enough to draw numerous compliments. "Out of the Blue" is from the JC-RT mixtape collection, inspired by the ELO album of the same name. Plaid is my favorite color, and this one is my most vibrant. It's perfect for layering, and standing alone.

One thing I will admit is that neither of these companies are budget friendly. However, if you watch for sales, you can get a unique shirt, with great details, for a reasonable price. I balance the price out by wearing Target Goodfellow chinos. The athletic fit work for my body type, and are reasonable enough to allow me to have a few different colors.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I wore a this coat with a white t-shirt and stan smiths and seemed to get compliments from all sorts of people.

http://apac.suitsupply.com/en/coats/...tml?cgid=Coats
    Best,
    Paul