Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, gents, back to one watch for me.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    I mentioned it in a post years ago, but it's important for clothing enthusiasts to pay attention to insurance and proper documentation. The average American male does not have a substantial collection of quality items. Adjusters will be skeptical if you claim you lost $5,000 worth of shoes in a fire, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Great point, as part of my recent insurance upgrade, I did a photo cataloging of not only my traditional valuables, but just anything that was substantial (singularly or in the aggregate). That included my shoes, suits, dress shirts, furniture, art, kitchen appliances, etc.

This is probably also a place to note that not all insurance is created equal. You'll pay for it, but as a general rule, higher end providers will give you a lot less hassle when it comes to claims than your budget providers. YMMV if it's right for your specific situation.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I think he was just joking, guys. But 100%, I was slack on on documentation for some of my stuff. Mostly the guitar. Actually I think I had some good documentation on it, but it was in the damned case lol. I should have gotten a rider for watches, but I didn't know about the 1k cap. Luckily I pulled receipts for pretty much all of them off PayPal. I just need to see how they do the pay out. IOW, they're nice enough to pay replacement cost on most things, but I think they actually want you to buy the replacement and reimburse you instead of just cutting a check for the claim beforehand. They also said I have 2 years to get replacements handled.

Luckily I had just taken a picture of my 1998 PRS custom 22 in July. It's a fantastic guitar, but I am not a fantastic guitar player lol. It was a gift from my parents 20 years ago, so it means a lot to me. If I bought another one it wouldn't be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Get a safe. Lasts forever; you can sell it if you get tired of it; and it's cheaper over time than paying insurance premiums on the things you could just put in the safe. Plus, safes are cool.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Ohhhhh turtles just popped up on massdrop too.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Suggesting insurance fraud, nice...

To OP, sorry about the loss, I just finally got around to getting jewelry insurance coverage on my watches. It's annoying that any/all watches are considered 'jewelry' for sure. As a fellow WUS, the (small) upside is that you can rethink your collection, rebuy what you want back and change others where you weren't enjoying them as much, etc. Obviously a very small silver lining relatively speaking.
    Jokes. Learn about 'em.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=Mad Martigan;279980]I guess I'll be wearing my trusty luminox sentry for a while, since I got ROBBED on Tuesday. Time to rebuild the collection. Too bad insurance has watches under "jewelry," so I'm capped at $1k reimbursement. Didn't think I needed a rider for my little collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Sorry to hear that since everyones watch collections takes time and hard work to build a budget to buy them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    918 Post(s)
    Robbery sucks, sorry about that.

Insurance thing was obviously a joke imo

Watches as jewelry... What else would they be? I have several so I am a watch guy but I can't think of anything else I would classify them as.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    My first house got broken into twice. Sucks. First time it was just my garage, they got tons of tools, and I didn't have an inventory, so years later I would discover something missing that I didn't tell the insurance company about. Second time was about a week before Christmas and they got out with all the presents, my tv and PlayStation 3 I think. Wasn't as bad because I just bought it all and had receipts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So sorry-

Don't overlook used watches, especially if you get an app on your phone to measure beat error (automatic and manual watches only), or recently serviced movements. Also, invest in a cheap ebay demagnetizer ~$4- even if you only have interest in quartz movements.
    See my photography: https://www.instagram.com/sparky_labrat/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Well, gents, back to one watch for me.

GOT MY GUITAR BACK!!!!! My friend and I were monitoring Craigslist and saw it pop up for sale. Let the detective working my case know and they went and checked it out, verified it was mine and scooped it up. Just picked it up from the precinct.